Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt has recently come out with some stainless 1991A1 pistols that have Bomars and dovetailed front sights. I have an opportunity to pick one up for the same price I recenly paid for a standard 1991A1 with fixed sights.

Could someone (Dane?) post pictures of how they mount Bomars, so I can compare the factory job with a custom installation?

The pistol in question has a much tighter frame to slide fit than the standard 1991A1, and seems like a great gun to use for a game gun and/or backup to my fixed sight piece.

Tho only negative thing about the gun is it has the coarse bead blasted finish. I much prefer the polished flats on the most recent stainless 1991A1's.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Tim,
Depends on how well they are installed...most factory guns use the Wilson, et. al. cut and wack job on the rear. Not pretty but usable. No time for pictures today, sorry. The finish is easy to fix. No worries there. Call if you have more questions you need answered in a hurry.

·
Registered
388 Posts
one thing that really bothers me about Bomars on series 80 guns is that they have to be installed further back to clear the firing pin block and that makes it stick out in the back and not flush with the rear of the slide. ugly and fragile IMO.

maybe they (Bomar) will come out with a specific rear sight for series 80.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting the photo John. I like the tritium inserts in the rear blade...perhaps it would be possible to retro-fit such a rear blade to the existing sight?

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the gun. I'll probably end up asking Dane to upgrade the sights to tritium while he does his magic on the rest of the gun. Still seems like a good deal since the machining is already done for the Bomars, plus the enhanced frame/slide fit. Comments anyone?

Best,

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought pretty much the same gun,brought it home tonight.Mines got the Bomars,wood grips and what I think is a Videki trigger.I don't know if I got as good a deal as you I paid $669,plain blue 1991 was $539 so I guess there's a little value there.

The gun is pretty tight and the breech face and feed ramp are pretty well finished(not like chrome ,but are smooth and can see a reflection.Wish I could comment on the trigger pull quality,but this is my first 1911 so I have no reference.I agree with you on the finish,it is a bit raw.Almost looks and feels like a grey parkerized.

Byron

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Byron,

I took one last, very close look at the gun and finally decided against the purchase. The Bomars are installed considerably farther to the rear than I'd like. I didn't really notice until I looked at the gun with the hammer cocked, but it protrudes considerably from the rear of the slide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.