Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have used 10 Ring's Gun Kote on several of my 1911s'. Alex Hamilton is a first rate gunsmith. The finish is extrememly durable and hard. After several thousands of rounds fired and holster prsentations it still looks great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have used the teflon/moly stuff from brownells, it seems tough but i noticed small chips on the corners after the first time out, i may have gotten the stuff too thick, i dont like the texture of finish you get with the aerosol cans, so i think im going to try the airbrush stuff next.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most of the spray/bake on finishes are similiar. The proceedure is the same.
Degrease the gun. Some people will then parkerize (they say it gives better a adhesion to the paint)spray and then bake.
I`ve sent customers guns out for every type of finish out there. I would have to rate these spray/bake finishes as just OK. I`ve seen them chip and wear off.
David

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree that most of these finishes show wear relatively easily. My experience is that they wear about like a blued finish, maybe a bit better. However, they are orders of magnitude better in resistance to corrosion and, if you apply them yourself, pretty easy to touch up when they do start showing wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.