Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,110 Posts
Hello, Bear. I didn't own my BHP .40 long enough to wear it out, but did put a few thousand rounds through it and noted no excessive wear.

It is my understanding that FN produced the cast frame for the HP because the forged one was softer and wouldn't stand up to over 2000 rnds of forty before the rails or frame warped. The forty has a thicker ejector as well...if memory serves.

Perhaps there are .40 HP lovers out there who can give a more definitive answer?

Best.

· Registered
248 Posts
Hmm, my BHP.40 went 10k+ rounds without any failures to feed, fire or eject. Extractor broke a little after 10k. A quick replacement (Bill Laughridge of C&S was at a local gunshow - what luck!) and it was back in business.

I've stopped counting rounds, but I know I've gone through several more cases of .40 without any problems with the pistol. There are only slight signs of wear around the muzzle and slide rails. There is a slight trough peened into the center rail in the underside of the slide where the hammer contacts it during recoil. The hammer is just a bit narrower than that rail and has worn/beaten a path. Doesn't seem to affect the pistol at all though. A wider hammer would probably solve the problem.

Other than that, it's been just about perfect. I expect it to last as long as I do. It is by far my favorite pistol.

Chad

· Registered
49 Posts
I recently purchased a used .40 HP to keep my two 9mm ones company. So far, with almost 1000 rounds of ball, Hydroshock 180 gr, and some other assorted cartridges, I see no problems. Not a single malfunction, other than breaking a recoil Spring guide. (my fault of course) I find I am carrying this pistol most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.