Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a lurker on this forum and have learned a lot from many sources. Now I have a question. I purchased an HP that is very mechanically sound, but it has a baked finish that is flaking off. It also has a 3 dot sight setup that is functional, but a corner of the rear sight is peened over from possibly being dropped. I want to use this pistol as a sometimes carry gun, and plinker. What common sense modifications would you experts recommend. I am definately going with a new finish and new sights. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Spackler hit the nail on the head. Assuming the gun is reliable and feeds & ejects like it is suppossed to, good sights and a good trigger are the enhancements that can make the gun easier to shoot well.

There are lots of sight choices for the Hi Power -- most would say go with the Novak or the Heinie sights. I prefer the sight picture of the Heinie, but that is just me. Get the sights that are good for your eyes and your shooting will improve.

As for the trigger, removing the magazine disconnect usually helps, but a real trigger job done by a top quality smith can be a huge improvement over the factory trigger.

Best of luck to you with your project!!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. In my view, GrandmasterB put it nicely. I would add that if the hammer spur nips you, bob it at the second lateral serration and refinish. I also like to add the Wolff conventional 18.5 lb recoil spring.
It functions well with standard and high velocity ammo and handloads. In recent months, I've been using the polymer Buffer Technology shock buffs in my HPs as well with no problems in function, etc.

Best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.