Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky enough a few years back to run into an old friend. Had not seen him since he retired. He was always the ulimate gun nut! We got to talking and wanted to show me his new play pretty. Brought out a new HP or so I thought. He said not only had it not been shot but had been orignally part of a collection of 10 never fired HP's. He told me that a fellow collector had purchased 10 of them in the early 60's as an investment. He was now selling all ten and my friend had purchased this one. I said, "What do you want for it?" He said "$550" I said would you take $500 because thats all I have on me. Walked out with it! It came with one mag and the orignial soft pouch. I sent the serial numbers into Browning trying to find out the date of production and it turned out to be 1964 T-Series Browning.

I have never shot it myself. I have wanted to but thought what a good trade it would make one day. My question to you guys. Would you keep it stock and unshot for collectors value or do some custom work and shoot it?

Tim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KIMBGLOCK on 2001-05-13 15:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it were me, I'd be shooting it as often as possible! I love Hi Powers too much to have them sit around.

I suppose true collectors are a different breed than me, because there is no way I could have a gun and not shoot it sometime.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would just save it and never ever shoot it. I would just save it and never ever shoot it. I would just save it and never ever shoot it. I would save it and never ever...

Aw, what the hell. That ain't gonna work. Well, off to the range.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be that some may think the question stupid. I took the pistol to a gun show and a dealer offered me $150 more than I paid. Figured he was in the business to make money so if it was worth that to him it was probably worth more to someone else.

I'm not really into collecting myself. Just thought money made on this, if there is collector interest, could be applied to another HP or 1911 that is not collectable(for shooting). A friend of mine worked with a gentleman that paid $800 about two years ago for a similar HP. I don't know if thats to much or too little but that would be an improvement on my purchase price.
I've seen used Browning HP in my area in the same price range I purchased mine. I Purchased my Kimber Compact for $520. If I could sell the Browning at $800 (collector), find another reasonable HP or Kimber, I could apply the extra $300 to work on either. See where I'm going!

Tim

·
Registered
580 Posts
You might want to post to "Hunter" over @ his excellent site {he is the owner} @ http://www.fnhipower.com Hunter actively seeks representative HP's from all era's and is up on their values, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm sure that there is some collectors value to it. I just don't and havn't ever understood the idea of leaving a pistol unshot. It is a prime tool developed to be used. It would drive me crazy not to shoot it. Before taking the advice of those of us saying "GO AHEAD, SHOOT IT" You may wish to do a more thorough appraisal. In the insane world of handgun colletor as opposed to shooters, someone may hand you enough money to buy several shooters. Last year I sold an original Colt .45 SAA from 1873. It was in terrible condition and still went for 8 Grand. My part of the take on that one put a lot of shooters in my gun case and kept my wife happy by recarpeting the house.
Lots of angles to look at this one from. Either way I think you will be happy. It's just two different kinds of happiness.
Best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts