Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am moving along on my project SVI 9x23, I have come to that crossroad, "To be Bullish and go with a Bull Barrel" or to go with the Standard Bushing/Barrel setup. As this 9x23 will be for both carry and IPSC as well as IDPA, I can use a little feed back as to the Pros & Cons.

THANKS YOU ALL.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I put a Bar-sto in my G-29 and didn't notice the weight. It seems to me that it would depend on who's barrel that you are going to use, Kart, Bar-sto, Briley, et. than anything else. :smile:

In 1911's I prefer a barrel and bushing myself and really don't like the Officers set up but that's just me. Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think that IDPA does not allow bull bbls, but I might be wrong. I like the fact that when my accuracy goes south on my bushing bbl, I can hard fit a new bushing and get most if not all of my accuracy back. With a bull bbl you get to buy and fit a new bbl. Kinda depends on what you want to do yourself. Enjoy your choice, DougC

·
Registered
32 Posts
For distance 25 to 75 yds., fitted barrel
w/bushing. For rapid fire or combat courses,
bushingless or taper lock up barrel. For me Taper lockup seems to be more reliable than a super close fitted barrel and bushing setup................

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mr. Sottile,
Doug C is right. Look at it this way...if you need to replace a bull barrel they don't make oversize diameter barrels and most of the time the slide wears as well as the barrel...so, you get the distinct pleasure of replacing and refitting a $200.00 (plus) slide along with a new barrel. With a standard bushing it only costs approx. $15.00 or less for a new bushing plus your barrel, and if you make a mistake or don't get the fit you want you just refit another bushing and go on down the road. Since on this project I gather you are experimenting to learn "how to do it," I would opt for the traditional bushing... If you need to add weight under the barrel you can go with a Tungsten guide rod if it doesn't violate an "Association Rule"(IDPA)etc. Irv Stone at Bar Sto has been kind enough to make up custom bushings for me for some stock Paras as large as .713".
Good Luck :smile:!- Barry

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the worries about wearing out the fit are a bit overstated. You have to consider first that the wear area on a properly fitted bull barrel is significantly more than with a bushing, therefore there is less wear. Also, I have heard mentioned by Mr Burns, the bull barrel is more accurate generally as it delays unlocking until the bullet has entirely cleared the barrel (this also helps the shooter achieve the better accuracy), and lastly, as mentioned above, they are more reliable when tightly fitted than a bushing setup. All that said, I am not sure you will notice a difference, and bull barrels are illegal in IDPA, as are tungsten or otherwise enhanced guiderods.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Who has shot out a Bar-Sto lately? Just wondering...they must not be holdin' up so well? Or is it another Bull maker that their barrels shoot out so fast? How many rounds does it take to wear out a barrel like that anyway? 100000? I don't have a clue...I know I'll not be the one doin' it, but some of youse'must be shootin' that much to worry about shootin 'em out...Think I'll call 'em just to find out... :wink:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Go ahead and have a 9x19 barrel fitted while you are at it (if your gunsmith thinks he can make them feed.) You will soon get tired of crawling around on the ground after 9x23 empties. Not to mention sorting them out from the Supers and TJs and MCM etc, etc.

Note that IDPA does not allow a long dust cover, either, so get the regular length frame if you plan to ever shoot at the state or national level where there would be an equipment check. Also you cannot shoot a 9xAnything at Major power factor in USPSA Limited, there is a .40 floor. That will be a big hindrance to decent placement.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I thought the IDPA ruling only applied to certain types of pistols with Bull barrels?!
...Is it the length or whether it's stock from the factory? I know I read somethin' just a couple months ago about it...just can't remember the "line -n the sand" that you can't cross...
:wink:

·
Registered
876 Posts
gyp, Frank,
The IDPA rule book-new green edition-says:
Enhanced Service Pistol, EXCLUDED Modifications... Heavy barrels, cone barrels, and/or barrel sleeves (factory or aftermarket.) Add on weights, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, extended dust covers.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Huh...that mostly sucks I guess...seems like ya' oughta' be able to use a 4" since it's shorter and would be what a gazillion people carry anyway...Oh well...I guess dems da' rules... :wink:

·
Registered
876 Posts
gyp,
Curiously enough, you can... if it is a .45ACP. Custom Defensive Pistol allows: "Factory installed cone style barrels are permitted on pistols with a barrel length of 4.2” or less."

telackey,
I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
ha...I'm not senile after all...Guess it's just for those with that kind of carry or back-up to be able to "play" too...Thanks Jim!

:wink:

...no matter where ya' go

...there ya' are...

...BanZai from the 8th

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-07-31 21:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's my understanding that IDPA will only allow Bull or coned barrels on pistols that come from the factory in that configuration i.e. a SA Champion, Officer Model Etc Etc..

I could be wrong though..

Rick

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That would fit the criteria of less than 5' like a government with an aftermarket barrel I guess...The Wilson is 4" I think, the Kimber Pro series...I guess quite a few...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.