Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any comments comparing the bull barrel to the standard barrel/bushing setup for a custom carry piece. I would appreciate hearing advantage/disadvantages as to reliability, durablility, and accuracy.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had some conversation with one of the Smiths that hang out on this forum about the bull barrel question. Here is what my understanding is right now:

1)It costs more than $15 for a match bushing and fitment.
2)A bull barrel has greater lockup surface than a stamdard barrel
3)A properly fit high quality barrel in a 1911 will last a VERY long time. (Both types)
4)The bull barrels come slightly oversized.
5)Either system is reliable if put together correctly. Accuracy potential is the same either way.

The person I spoke with has about 40,000 rounds on a Schueman Bull barrel and there is little if any wear on the barrel or slide. During a recent outting with the gun he was shooting 1" groups with it at 25 yards and the ammo was still going through the chronograph about the same as it did when new.

Basically opened this topic on this forum to hopefully a few more responses from other Smiths and owners on this forum. I just happend to stumble accross this one on the 9x23 forum.

Tim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KIMBGLOCK on 2001-07-28 20:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
While the physical accuracy in either barrel can be the same, the ability to shoot better groups is a push over for the bull barrel because it stays locked up longer on the trigger break. (even marginal shooters will usually notice this and think it is the pistol but actually it is lockup and dwell time)

Take down and maintance ease IMO goes to the bushing barrel and recoil system. Bull barrels take a guide rod and reverse plug.

Recoil can be dampened by the extra weight of a bull barrel if you leave it on the barrel.

Fitting is no more difficult with either barrel. Just different and some added time goes into a bull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.