Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to think about another 1911 project and would like to try a bull barrel. Since I want it to be .45 ACP, I don't need a ramped bull. I also want to do the work myself, which means I am looking for a Drop-in/semi-Drop-in barrel and not a "Short chambered gunsmith-fit" barrel.

So far, these are the barrels that I have found that seem to fit my needs: (in price order)

#1. Springfield lists a non-ramped bull barrel on their site for $108. I don't know if these are good or not. Anybody have any opinions? I believe their standard barrels are still two-piece, which I don't want. But I don't know if the bull barrels are two piece.

#2. Storm Lake offers a drop-in non-ramped bull barrel for $140. I don't have any direct experience with Storm Lake, but I hear these are good barrels.

#3. Ed Brown offers a bull barrel for $185, but recommends gunsmith installation. I know this will be a good barrel. Anyone have any advice on fitting it?

#4. Nowlin makes a drop-in bull barrel for $210. Is this really worth the money over the others mentioned?

Who have I left out? I don't think Bar-sto makes a non-ramped bull barrel in 45 ACP. The STI barrels are short chambered and need to be reamed, so that is more work than I want to tackle myself. What are my other options? Kart?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Can you give me that address where you saw the SA barrels?

Thanks...

ps...I think I'd contact Bar-Sto on that wish list. They should be able to help...Actually...you might be pleasantly surprised by asking them directly. I bet most makers will fix you right up...Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually, I remembered that I contacted Springfield about this barrel, and they stated that they would install the barrel, plus all additional parts for a total of $150 plus shipping. Just a little FYI for those interested

catmath 1911

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got a 26" Shillen barrel blank in .452 from Brownell's.

I put it on a 98 Mauser and chambered it in 45acp. It shoots .7" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with 460 Rowland +P+ loads.

I am VERY happy with that barrel. ~$110.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Praise to the Springfield bull barrel! I decided to go ahead and try one, and I am very impressed!

The barrel is very visually appealing with a nice crown on the muzzle. It is a solid barrel, not a two-piece like many Springfield budget barrels and looks to be very well made. It has a beautiful throat too.

I dropped this barrel into my STI Trojan. The STI slide is already cut for a reverse plug, so I dropped in one of those too. I was AMAZED at how well this barrel fit in my gun! It was like it was made just for my gun. It locks up real tight and does not drag or hang anywhere. Also, the gun shoots to exactly the same point of aim with this bull barrel as it does with the bushing barrel. Maybe I just got lucky, but I feel very happy with my $108 drop-in bull barrel. It adds 1.5 oz. over the standard bushing barrel and shoots great.

So now I have a bull barrel for IPSC and a bushing barrel for IDPA. :grin:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The gun does recoil less (to me) with the bull barrel. I shot two IPSC classifiers yesterday way faster than I have ever shot them. :grin:

But hey, I'm like lots of folks in IPSC -- just part of the equipment race! Maybe I just bought some confidence...but I think it was worth spending that check I got for Christmas. :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GrandmasterB on 2002-01-20 18:58 ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.