Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corbon`s new 180gr.JHP/1300fps load looks good and I can`t wait to get my replacement boxes (for the batch that was loaded too long OAL) to try them out. The bullet is a 180gr. Sierra,a decent bullet but I have to wonder if it`s ideal for the load? Most .40cal bullets are meant to be fired at .40S&W velocities. I`m wondering if say a 180gr. GoldDot,Starfire,XTP etc. might be better suited. Perhaps a 180gr. bullet that *underexpands* at .40S&W velocities would be just the thing at 1300fps.? Marcus

·
Registered
170 Posts
I cannot respond with empirical knowledge, however, I cannot imagine the Sierra is the best choice for such an hot load. I would think the XTP and the Gold Dot (in that order) would have the best chance of holding up.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I think we'll have to wait for somebody to test the stuff in ballistic gelatin. From results posted elsewhere here Cor-Bon's 150gr Sierra load @ 1325 FPS shed its jacket but otherwise held together, expanded nicely and went 11". I'd *expect* the 180gr load to be similar except with a bit more penetration, but of course the proof is in the proverbial pudding (or Jell-O, or whatever).

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
FWIW, Terry Murbach at Cor-Bon says the 180gr Sierra JHPs they are using were designed from the beginning as 10mm bullets, not .40 S&W (as is the case with their 135-165gr bullets). He said that they did about ~14" penetration, which seems pretty dang good to me.

I shot some and they are DEFINITELY full-power loads. Low flash, too... just some bright sparks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.