Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am shooting my Kimber in bullseye competition. The loads I had originally worked out were 3.7 gr of Clays with 200 gr Rainier or West Coast. The Kimber has a Tasco Red Dot mounted with a Clark rail, and a Wolfe 8 lb spring.

I shot the loads for the first four or five weeks, and started getting malfunctions. The only way that I could get any consistancy was to up the loads to 4.2 gr of Clays.

This worked for a couple of weeks, but Wednesday, during competition, I had numerous misfeeds again (seven, to be exact).

Am I unconsiously relaxing my grip? If so, it must be just a little bit. I can't think of anything else that would cause these.

By the way, the jam is the normal "limp wrist" type of jam, with a case stuck in the extractor and another trying to get out of the magazine and into the chamber.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Casey

·
Registered
581 Posts
My first recommendation would be to dump plated bullets. Switch to lead 200 gn H&G 68's and bullseye powder. If you really want to shoot jacketed, try shooting XTP's. They seem to be the most accurate jacketed pistol bullets I have used in a ransom rest.

Your jam does seem like a limp wrist. Bump up your powder charge a bit and maybe stiffen your elbow a touch.

That’s the good thing about bullseye, you get alibis for gun problems.

We had a former Army AMU puke bust an extractor this weekend at our state match IPSC Championship. Down 160 points right off the bat. Ouch. Plating extractors bad.

Good luck to you. You might want to get in touch with Bob Marvel in Lincoln NE, the man is a god when it comes to bullseye pistols.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
285 Posts
What part of Ohio are you in, Casey? If you're anywhere near Cincinnati I'd advise taking your pistol to Jack Basham. He's usually at the Fairfield matches on the first Sunday of each month.

I'm a little unclear on exactly what's happening. When you write about "misfeeds", does that mean the problem with the empty case blocking the fresh round from the chamber? That's more of a failure to eject, IMHO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't want to come across as Kimber bashing but I even owned about 6 different models at one time and I don't own one today.

As I have progressed in the different shooting disciplines so has my choice in firearms and how they are built. A Kimber IMHO is not built with Bullseye in mind. Now I know that it gets costly and I have proof but each discipline that I shoot has it's own firearms that are built specifically for that discipline.

My Bullseye 45 is a Colt Series 70 that has had a total makeover for use in Bullseye only. Which required specific ejector and extractor dimensions in order to work with the lighter loads. This is more than likely why your Kimber is failing to eject.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What type of ejector does your kimber have in it? Is it an extended type? You will have to have an extended ejector for the relatively slow slide speeds associated with bullseye competition loads. You should also set extractor tension fairly loose. I know that is pretty vague but it is hard to describe proper tension. A loose grip may indeed be your problem but it may also be a combination of other things.

hangunnr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.