Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I received a C. Rusty Sherrick Tom Givens Rangemaster holster made for a 5" 1911. The holster is an OWB holster which has a slight forward cant. The holster is made out of horsehide. The horsehide material and its design allows the holster to be very thin and unobtrusive. It conceals well, for an OWB holster, if your covering garmet is long enough.

The stitching and color are very good. I was disappointed with the shark trim. The shark trim lacked good texture when compared to the shark on my Milt Sparks gear, for $30 I expect better.

The fit of the holster is excellent. No breaking in was required. The very first draw was smooth. The holster sits low on the belt and holds the pistol close to the body but, presents a full firing grip. There is a front cut out for faster presentations. I am pretty slow so I didn't really feel any increase in my draw speed. I'll have to test it out at the range with a timer to see if there is an improvement in my time.

I've worn it for about 15 hours and performed about 150 draws from it. The holster supports the weight of the pistol well, and the gun doesn't bang into objects as one walks around objects. My Blade-Tech OWB holster seems to make the pistol catch on corners, counters and door frames.

The holster uses a single wide belt loop to secure itself to the belt. This setup is very stable and the holster doesn't roll. Since there is only a single loop, one can't position the holster belt loops between a pants belt loop to keep the holster from sliding on the belt. This could be an advantage as well as a disadvantage. It allows one to slide the holster forward when seated in a vehicle with bucket seats but, it can be annoying to draw and find the pistol grip in a different position.

Overall, I am pleased with the holster. I haven't carried the holster enough to say how it holds up over time but, initially it seems very solid. The holster costs $100 and there is a 8-10 week wait.

Heres a pic from Rusty's website
http://www.c-rusty.com .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JM on 2001-07-04 04:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for the nice review! Looks like it has a speed-cut? Correct? If so does he use metal reinforcement as in his other holsters? Assume the ultra wide single belt loop is to provide much enhanced stability? Maybe Tom will comment on the design criteria/points?

Have Rusty's Gochenour Extreme & VHRS for a "Fat Boy" Glock 21 & M8 that have proven excellent for CCW & IDPA, etc. No Fish trim though! Wish the TGR was available when purchased my Sherrick's.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-07-04 12:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here are some design notes on this holster.
First, the belt tunnel is four inches wide. I wear a full size 1911 fourteen hours a day. The wide belt tunnel distributes the weight over a larger "footprint" on the belt, giving the illusion of a lighter pistol. Once you get used to this holster you will forget you have a gun on.
The belt loop tapers at each end, providing a "wing" to go under the pants belt loop for added stability.
The speed cut goes to the front end of the ejection port. The gun sits slightly low, with the trigger guard at belt level. This, combined with the speed cut allows the gun to clear the holster with very little shoulder movement. Not only very fast, but helps in cramped positions.
Retention is adequate for a concealed carry holster, and is accomplished by meticulous fitting. I have been wearing one for about seven months now, and it has held up very well. As noted, the horsehide is lighter and thinner than cowhide, and seems "harder".
When I buy new pants, I take them to the seamstress at a local dry cleaner. She removes and relocates two belt loops on the right side for me, at a very nominal cost. One belt loop is directly above the side seam of the pants, the other is four inches behind that one. This LOCKS the four inch belt tunnel of my holster in place, all day. A good gunbelt then completes the ensemble. With pants rigged this way and a good belt, this is the most comfortable and fastest holster I have used.
Rusty will build these with FBI cant or straight drop, with specified belt width, and in several colors. I HIGHLY recommend his work.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. Givens,

Thanks for the tip about the belt loops. I'll give it a try. The holster does carry 2 1/2 pounds of steel pretty well.

Best Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.