Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with this cleaning kit? Sounds a bit too good to be true but I just finished cleaning several handguns and would like to find an easier way (sorry, but I admit that I hate cleaning guns) :sad:

I know it's no substitute for a good scrubbing but after a mild shooting session, I'd like a process that can easily clean before storing away again for next time. The fact that it leaves a light protective coating after drying sounds appealing, especially since it will get into the trigger and hammer assembly easily. Any opinions?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was once in a little gun shop when the shop owner tossed a dirty makarov in a bucket of liquid he had sitting uncovered in the corner. I asked him what was in it. It was kerosene. "Uh, hey, are you sure that's ok?", I asked. He claimed it was. Nevertheless, I wouldn't do it.
I too hate cleaning guns. I'm curious to find out the various methods used, unorthodox that they might be.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have used Dunk-It for years. I bought a 1.75 gal. size about 7-8 years ago and used it until it was about gone and recently bought another bucket. Even the dirtiest gun comes clean easily, even the bore. I like it and recommend it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Anyone have any experience with this cleaning kit? Sounds a bit too good to be true but I just finished cleaning several handguns and would like to find an easier way (sorry, but I admit that I hate cleaning guns)
I have a 5-gallon bucket of Dunk-it. Not bad stuff if you have several handguns to clean at the same time. However, just for one gun, I find that it takes just as long to wipe off/out the Dunk-it as it takes to actually clean the gun properly. All in all, though, it works pretty well.

Maybe I'm just anal :smile:, but I can't just swish the gun around a couple of times and call it clean. I have to field strip it and wipe down the interior and basically dry it out. So, as I said, if I have several to clean, I'll just strip 'em and drop them in the bucket. Then I clean/wipe each piece as I pull it out.

Then I have to figure out which piece goes where! :smile:

Chad

G

·
0 Posts
I have a very close fiend who has a few decades more experience than I do and he has also been in three personal gun battles, all robbery attempts and he has been shot twice in the process, he is very serious about what he carries, and why he carries uses it, he will only carry stock guns that have been carry beveled and had all of the edges and tightness removed from the pistols with the ramp and chamber mirror polished. Nevertheless, he has a habit of shooting 1-2,000 rounds in a single session and he only carries a pair of very loose fitting Para Ordinance high cap .45s. He actually has four pairs of the same guns and 12 models of the same Leather Arsenal holsters and yes he shoots both left and right handed. Anyhow a few years back I was in his basement and saw a 30 gallon tub with fish tank hoses running into it. When I asked him what it was he said Hoppes #9 cleaning solution, he explained that after shooting a pair or two of the Paras he pulled the grips off and left them in the tank for two weeks and that the fish tank filter cleaned the particles out of the solution for him and he kept a lid on the tank to keep the solution from evaporating. He never uses oil or grease on the guns and he actually staggers all of his rounds with varying types of commercial defense rounds. I'm not sure what it is but all of his guns run 100% and I have personally seen him go 8 hours straight, running through the three dozen high cap mags he has over and over again shooting into a pie plate sized target at 15 yards, bleeding hands and all...Anyhow the solutions must work for him or he would not use them, personally I enjoy cleaning my firearms and I like to take the time to examine and evaluate them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts