Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I recently took possession of my first C.T. Brian custom pistol, a .45acp Commander built on a Baer oversized frame and slide. I can tell you than Tim's work is second to none and his guns shoot as good as they are beautifully built.

His craftmanship was first featured in the Jan/Feb '97 issue of AmHandgunner. That Colt he customized eventually led me to having my own Brian 1911 built. The wait was worth it- I apologozie to Tim, as my pics do not do justice to this beautiful rendition of JMBs 1911. But, I didn't have enough $$ to hire Ichiro Nagata, so they'll have to do. :wink:

You'll notice that this pistol has the dreaded thumb safety hole. I've never thought it was that big a deal, but I did ask Tim to explain why its present on this pistol:

Very simple. I take my beavertails so high, that when you blend the thumb safety to 'flow' with that area, you have to remove enough metal that the hole is partially exposed when the thumb safety is in the up position. If you'll take a look at it in the down position, you'll see what I mean about matching the contour of the beavertail
area.

I also suspect that our choice of the Brown thumb safety and beavertail made the hole more evident than say, Wilson parts might have. Irregardless, its a non-issue with me. I'm glad to have the highest grip possible with the parts I wanted, and if that results in the hole showing a bit, so be it.

Tim is a heckuva nice guy and very easy to work with. The communication line is always open. He offers no "packages" opting to let his customers choose exactly what features they want their custom to have.

I could not be more pleased with the work that Tim did. His attention to details is one of his trademarks. Speaking of trademarks, take a good look at the bevel treatment that runs the length of the slide. Very eye-catching modification that sets his pistol apart from any others.

Just a little note- the issue of GUNS that hits the stands next month will feature a new design of Tim's- its a real slick carry pistol with a couple of unusual modifications that enhance concealibility w/o sacrificing shootability.

my full review of the Commander

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BK on 2001-06-20 15:45 ]</font>

· Registered
383 Posts
I really really like that full length taper cut. It leans a touch of understated elegance to the lines of the gun. Kudos to C.T. Brian for this neat looking alteration.

This an excellent example of pistolsmithing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-06-20 16:29 ]</font>

· Registered
99 Posts
I never had the opportunity to shoot one of Tim's guns, nor knew anyone (personally) that owned one. However, I've been lusting over his cosmetic work for years. Hit attn to detail becomes obvious the moment you lay eyes on one of his guns. If the inside works as well as the outside looks, he is no doubt second to none.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peter,

Is the front sight as short as it appears in the picture? Not that thats a bad thing, was just wondering about sight picture acquisition and if you see any slide.

I measured it against 2 other 1911s I have in front of me, one is a Brown. Tim's measures ~0.120" shorter than the others... +/- 0.486" oal. No slide is visible when sighting.

Thanks for the kind words - Tim does great work.

· Registered
893 Posts
On 2001-06-20 16:18, Ken Sham wrote:
That's a nice looking gun there. Very interesting and attractive tapered bevel on the bottom of the slide.
I also like the chamfer on the right side of the frame, where the slide stop protrudes from. Nice touch.
Ditto! I love the way that looks.

· Registered
58 Posts
Gorgeous gun, B.K. :grin: Terrific job, Tim :grin:
I've been a fancier of Tim's work since the A.H. article of a few years ago. I think Tim truly belongs on anyone's "Top 10" 1911 'smiths list. Maybe in a couple of years, when kid's college tuitions are finished, I'll be in line for one of Tim's guns.

· Registered
99 Posts
BK, I spoke too soon. I did read the full review afterwards and saw the targets . That is one gun you should be proud to own. However long it took was well worth the wait. Now I see why you sold your CQB compact.:smile: That is a beauty....

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
couldn't have done it w/o you Jim :grin:

Johnny, I would have kept the Wilson if possible... you know how it is. :sad:

Tim deserves the praise- his work is truly superlative!

· Registered
709 Posts
Absolutely beautiful gun! You should be complimented also on your photography which is very nicely lit and executed. Looks great!

There are many nice creative and beautiful touches on that gun that set it immediately apart from the crowd.

Thanks for letting us seeing this gorgeous commander. Hang on to that gun! :smile:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.