Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gentlemen a quick question. When I first started shooting in the mid 60s , a pistol was a handgun of which there were different types semi-auto , revolver , single shot. Now it appears that only semi-autos are pistols. Have I been mistaken all along are was there change in definition at some point. I always thought Colt patented the first as a revolving breech pistol
Thanks for any help
Gerald

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was really wondering at what time the change was made . I know that the first flintlocks the various militarys offered were called pistols ( the various sea service pistols, coat pistols , and later horse pistols )and I do think that the wording in Colts patent was revolving breech pistol. I was looking for some insight on the history of why the word pistol now applies to autos.
Thanks
Gerald

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello all I was just curious as all dictionarys list a pistol as a firearm to be fired with one hand. I thought it sounded like something a gun magazine writer might have said in the past and has become the gospel. I have only really started shooting again for the last couple of years after about a 7-8 year lapse and have been chastiezed (have no idea if I spelled that one right) for saying pistol when talking about a Smith 44 mountain gun . I did not overlook the fact that my buddies who ripped me over this could'nt hit a bull in the #ss with a bass fiddle. So I guess I am out of touch
Thanks again
Gerald

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.