Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I share my gun range with a large herd of cattle, some emaciated deer, countless birds, lizards and rabbits, and at least one wicked-looking 5-foot rattlesnake.

So what species of rattler is it?

If it's any help, I live in Prescott, AZ.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I dunno, but I would slap one of those CCI shotshells in your .45 and just get rid of the damn thing :wink:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I thought you were writing a book and didn't have time to post on the internet. :smile:
Quit taking nature walks and get back to work!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
No doubt about it. It's a McCain Backstabber. That or a Feinstein Nutbuster.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mute on 2001-07-19 13:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
95 Posts
On 2001-07-19 12:38, Mute wrote:
No doubt about it. It's a McCain Backstabber. That or a Feinstein Nutbuster.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yakko77 on 2001-07-19 19:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mystery solved. I received this email from a fellow, and much more knowledgeable, Arizonan from the Tucson Herpetological Society.

http://www.arts.arizona.edu/herp/qanda.html

Hi J,

The beast in your photo is an Arizona Black Rattlesnake. It's a subspecies of the Prairie Rattler. They tend to be found in hills or mountains rather than in the lowlands. Young ones are lighter in color with dark markings on the back, and the snakes get darker as they get older. In some populations of them the old adults are sooty black with a scattering of yellow scales. They're not as bad tempered as diamondbacks (my own personal opinion) but their venom is respectable. You probably would not want to get bit. The Latin name for them is Crotalus viridis cerberus - "cerberus" coming from the name of the two-headed black dog that guards the gates of Hades in ancient mythology. Obviously named by someone who considered the snake to be a little intimidating.

On a different topic - thanks for your message, especially with the website reference. I too am an avid shooter with a makeshift pistol range on my property outside of Tucson. We've got two species of rattlers that show up there regularly - diamondbacks and tiger rattlers. My wife and I are both comfortable around rattlers, so we leave them where they are. Pretty much if you don't bother them, they won't bother you, and they just might do you some good.

Again, thanks for the website reference. Now that I know it's there, I'll periodically check it out.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.