Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An extended hypothetical, based on recent shootings of pedestrians from a car in Missouri:

For scenario purposes, picture a normal city street/canyon, with buildings and store fronts lining both sides of the street, side streets at the end of the block (you are in the middle of the block), and the occasional trash can, sapling-in-a-pot, or light pole along the side of the street. You are armed with your normal carry weapon, and whatever else you carry on a regular basis in your off hours. For me, that would be a 1911 in an OWB, no flashlight, no extra magazine. You are casually dressed in jeans, sneakers, and t-shirt under an untucked, unbuttoned long-sleeve shirt (to conceal your weapon).

Since your wife or girlfriend (or both) is out of town, you decided to see a movie alone. The movie has just ended, and you are walking along a downtown street, after leaving the theater. It is about 10:00pm, and at the moment there are only a few people on the street, none within half a block of you, although a large group is clustered close to the theater two blocks away. You are headed toward the after-hours parking lot where you left your vehicle. You become aware that a car approaching from behind you is slowing down. You turn in time to see an arm emerge from the passenger side with a handgun pointing in your direction.

Two questions: First, what would you do under the circumstances as described? Second, how would you modify your behavior, equipment, etc. to be better prepared if there is a next time?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Cover! Cover! Cover!
Immediate movement to cover has got to be the first priority here. If the only thing to hide behind is a concrete parking block,
then I'm getting small behind that parking block. The rest of the scenario can play out from there; but putting a hard bullet-stopping obstacle between you and them should be foremost, IMO...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go to a late movie showing where I'd have to park in a remote, sparsely populated parking lot. If the choice was between staying at home or going to that scenario, I'd stay home, or try to catch an earlier showing. That or find a theatre with better parking.

Given your description, I'd try to make for cover and be very certain that this armed assailant has targeted me and not someone else. Always try to avoid or de-escalate if possible.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am going to hard cover and drawing my 1911. I will react based on what the guy with the gun does. If he stops and gets out the situation changes. I will be behind cover at that point, I hope. I will check him out. If he is advancing on me with a gun I will scream at him to drop the weapon and leave me alone. If he still advances, he gets shot. That's what Clint told me to do. :smile: If he shoots from inside the car while I am behind hard cover and then speeds off, I let him go. Probably won't be cool enough to try to get a license number.

I will go to movies when and where I want. If you give the streets to the evil doers, they have already won. Now I am not saying walk down a terrible part of town with $100 bills hanging out of your pocket. I won't go looking for trouble. But 10pm outside a theatre is not exactly a war zone. Citizens should be able to be there at that time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll take a shot at it. If available quick cover, get behind it.
Then reassess:

Are they stopping? Are they driving by?

If no cover, run at full speed in the opposite direction of the car's movement.

As far as equipment, that's really irrelevant in this one.
What could you possible carry that would aid in the initial
exchange of rounds? A vest?

Better to avoid such situations.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What could you possible carry that would aid in the initial
exchange of rounds? A vest? <<<<

A vest is good, but I'm thinking something like a AT4 or RPG-16(that's the cut down airborne version of the RPG-7). IRL, this would be cover time. Then draw pistol(or draw while heading for cover), and assess. If BG looks like he's going to fire(play that one by ear), I'm going to attempt to preempt him through the window opening. I'm not going to try to poke 45ACP through the car body. With my 10mm, I'd try it. 45ACP 230gn hollowpoints probably don't have enough penetration on car panels. Convienently, my buddy has a dead car to experiment on. Now to find a range... Semper Fidelis..Ken M

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the what to carry question...

In my original message, I had in mind a flashlight, such as those made by Surefire (sp?). I understand that their beam is extremely bright. I had in mind using it to light up the car, driver, and/or passenger, so as to prevent their accurately indexing my own decrepit, but still useful, body. Never having carried or used a flashlight like this, I don't know if it is a likely possibility, or even if it is good tactics. Any other ideas?

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Movement is your friend in this one. Statically lighting them up with a Surefire is neat but unless they are fully dark adapted - which is unlikely on the street - your better bet to disrupting them is to MOVE.

You see a gun and deploying a gun and a light in appropriate position is standing still a tad too long IMHO.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have to agree with Glen; simple equation:

COVER + DISTANCE = SURVIVAL

·
Registered
30 Posts
One piece of supplemental gear worth its wait in gold is a flashlight! Sure-fire and Streamlight both make convenient carry models that light up brightly. If even these small units were to cumbersome, then you could go with a good quality keychain type light like Photon. Sure, they're not as bright as the flashlight models but in a low light situation they give you enough light to navigate and maybe more importantly to identify your target (was it REALLY a gun you saw pointed at you?). These are so small and comfortable to carry, you might as well wear one at ALL times, even in daylight (you never know when you might need it badly). That said, moving to cover IS the most important thing to do first! On a side note, I gave my girlfriend (now my wife) a small Spyderco Delica folding knife and a Streamlight Scorpion flashlight just to show her I cared. She had looked at me like I was "Tackleberry" and made fun of me till the day a tornado came through the city and she had to use the light to guide her whole office down 5 flights of stairs to safety (power out). Needless to say, I don't catch crap for that gift anymore! Sorry so long winded

1 - 10 of 10 Posts