Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who could convert a Walker model to a cartridge gun for me? I have an actual Colt revolver, so the quaility is high.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rather than convert a real Colt Walker which would lose value I would suggest you get a Ruger Old Army (built on the old Blackhawk frame)amd then get a .45 Colt R&D Cylinder conversion unit. Brownels has them. This makes a very sturdy .45 Colt revolver of the Remington type and can also be used for black powder with the original cylinder. I have done this and it is great. In my Ruger this unit tolerates modern loads such as the Winchester Silver Tip.

Dean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about doing that, but someone already fired this one, and let it rust up. It's done as far as collector value, and I just thought it would be a neat conversion, as I haven't seen any of the Walker's or the Dragoons converted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
American Handgunner May/June 2000 had an article about a company named Cimarron. They do conversions on Army and Navy open tops. There phone is 803-997-9090. There address is P.O. Box 906, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. They might be a good place to check.

Sorry to be slow but I had to find the magazine.

Dean

·
Registered
22 Posts
I forgot to post that I think there was another article in the last 2-3 years about conversions. Perhaps some other members or guests will remember. Some black powder people or dealers may be helpful.

Dean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the help Dean. I appreciate it. I remember the articles you mentioned, but I couldn't remember the name either. :smile: Anyone else have a guess, or recomendations?

Jeremiah

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guns March 2000 has an article about Bob Millington who does conversions on original and reproduction Colts and Remingtons. It states he is from Denver but does not give an address or phone number. He also restores old Colts. A quick look does not reveal an ad. Actually he sounds in the article that he might be a very good bet for you. Email me if you need me to diligently do an ad search.

Good luck.

Dean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.