Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a batch of new brass and some is over max (greater than .898") so plan on trimming it. I recall reading somewhere that being the case doesn't grow in length much and being it headspaces on the front NOT to trim to minimum length (.888"). As most of the cases are about .893" long I was thinking of trimming all of them to this length. None seem to be shorter.

What do you have to say?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sounds good to me. You are obviously aware of the headspace factor, so you don't want your cases to be too short.

Also, if you are planning on reloading this brass several times, you will find that the brass actually decreases in length over several reloadings.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Bear, I have new brass with WW for a head stamp and they sample at about .893 in length. One check you may do is to load a couple of your normal and long ones and check them with a .45 case gage from Dillon, about $9.
I have never trimmed my brass but I do check each round I build with a guage.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Trim 'em once...puts a good edge on 'em and never hurts to handle ALL of them one time...You won't have to do that part again...

Good Luck! :cool:

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-06-26 14:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I checked some cases and most do mike at .893" and they are WW. Most WW for various calibers I use usually mikes in the middle between min and max dimensions. However, just to be safe I run all of them through the case length gauge and lo and behold some start exceeding the max. Thus, I think I will trim them all to .893" and chamfer the edges. On my revolvers I usually trim to min dimension for the caliber.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-06-26 22:06, banjobart wrote:
Won't you screw up the bite of taper crimp into the bullet if you champfer the case mouth?
No! Taper crimp is just that - a tapered crimp. It is the gradual narrowing of the case from the mouth towards the rim that applies the "grip". This whole length applies "grip" to the bullet, not just the mouth.

You are thinking of "roll-crimp" where just the mouth holds tension on the bullet.

Chamfering simply removes any burrs or sharp edges after you have trimmed your case. It doesn't hurt to do it with either taper or roll crimp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.