Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to build a Caspian Hicap for my personal use and as a demo gun. I have worked on several .40's but not enough to formulate opinions of what works best for this caliber as I have .45 and 9mm. I've always just built to customer specs. However this is going to be my gun. I want to build a gun whose primary purpose is to be a USPSA limited beater and demo gun. I've already made up my mind on Caspian for frame and slide but have yet to decide on what ramp to use... if I even go with a ramped barrel. I will be using a bushing in this build as I do not like bull barrels. I would also appreciate input on what brand of barrel one would use in this combination. I'm looking for actual real world experience with this combination... not speculation or opinion. If you have used this or built this combination please provide your input and any experiences good or bad. My primary concern is function. Piss on cost and aesthetics.

Wright Custom
JW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Caspian hicap

After I registered on this forum I told Bill about your post. Bill built one of the first of the new Caspian Hicaps, according to him Caspian didn't have the mags at the time but He had a promise from Gary Smith at Caspian to send him the first 10 mags as soon as they came stateside.
If you will scroll down thru the forums to almost the bottom of the page You will find WILD BILL , it is in the Lounge area , in the Dane Burns era it was View From the Hills. Open Wild Bill and scroll thru 50 plus titles to Caspian High Capacity 40 Caliber .There is lots of information on the build , many posts from Bills' friends that helped test the pistol.
Bill says the only reason for ramped barrels in 1911s was in the old days when They were loadin 38 Supers hot to make "major". Ramps help keep the hot Supers from blowing out the case in the unsupported area of the barrel. With the advent of the 9x23 or cutoff .223 cases the problem was solved.
Janis Mc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts