Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My non-internet-savy friend is considering one of these so I thought I'd ask y'all out there for him (really, it's not for me, although I'll probably want one by the time I read these responses).

Any experience with them and feedback appreciated (and let's not rehash the series 80 thing) :smile:

Secondly, what's your opinion on the whole Commander slide / Officer's frame set up. Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good luck finding a CCO, as they are no longer in production. I understand they are quite hard to find nowadays.

My only experience with Springfield was with a plain-jain parkerized mil-spec model back in 1986 or 1987. I only owned the gun for about a year. It was as accurate as I was, but the trigger pull sucked until I had a local smith go over it. Unfortunately I have no experience with and can't comment on the current Springfield aluminum framed guns.

That having been said, I can comment on the Colt guns. I have owned a steel framed Officer's ACP (had it tweeked by Novak's)that was totally reliable. I found the short grip frame to be much easier to conceal than a full size, but still plenty long enough to get a good handle on when drawing/firing.

I have also owned 3 Commanders (2 steel, 1 lightweight.) Although I wil concede the 5 inch guns are generally thought to be the most reliable, and get the most ballistic performance from the longer barrel, I have been extremely pleased with the Commander length pistols I have shot.

If I had the opportunity to purchase a Colt XS CCO pistol, I would buy one. The only thing I really would regret about that particular combination is it not having a steel frame. Just my personal preference, as I know there are many knowledgeable folks out there who prefer aluminum frames.

Hope this helps...

Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't comment on the CCO, never having handled one, but I do own a SA LW Compact. It is a back-up / off-duty gun to my full size. I haven't had any problems with it, shot fine right out of the box. I had the sights replaced with MMC's to mirror my duty weapon at the time (have since gone to Novak's on duty gun). I have large hands and don't have any problem with the shorter grip and it does make it easier to conceal. The lock-up isn't quite as tight as I prefer, but it shoots as well as I can. Overall, I can't complain about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.