Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had an opportunity to examine the range of Charter 2000 revolvers. The design looks interesting, and the price is right, but I've yet to find anyone who's examined one

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2 an old model and the new, 38undercover. both have been accurate
good quality guns, I however have not fired
heavy loads in them, standard 38special and
swc reloads. I like the feel on the new model
and it is light wt.I believe approx 17oz.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bullet44

They are certainly attractively priced, and I like the fact that the new 38 model is all stell, yet only weighs about the same as a Taurus Total Titanium. Charter 2000 calim 16 oz.

I was looking at the 11oz S&W guns, but these are very expensive - probably get mugged just for the gun !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nylon.....I have the Charter 2000 in .44 special. Bought it about one year ago for $250.00 out the door here in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. I wanted one for a lifetime and when Charter Arms went out of business some years back and I seen them selling off at $160.00 in blue......well I missed out and did'nt get one then. And as I said above, I own one now. It is brushed S/S in snubby barrel length and has a chopped hammer, so it is DAO for all practical purposes.

Yes it is light, inexpensive, attractive to me and others who have seen it, I carry it on occasion CCW and when it isn't on me, it is setting up on the top of my dresser, loaded and ready to render its help if called upon in the darkness of night.

I have run over two hundred rounds through it and had no problems.

I did take the dremmel and knocked off the rough edges around the rubberized grips, and then took an emery board (my wifes' finger nail file) and gently filed down the sharp edges on and around the trigger guard which I felt on the out edges. Please be safe and make sure the firearm is unloaded when doing the above prodedures. Good shooting.

Ed

G

·
Although Charter may not have the reputation and marketing prestige that surrounds the other pistols, I have witnessed more true "pros" with Charter bulldogs as a backup or kit gun when off the clock than all of the other guns combined.

Seriously it never fails, a Charter on the boat, in the toolbox, or in the console of the car seems at times to be more of a hidden hand shake than an Emerson was 10 years ago.

I do not have any insight into the "new" Charter Arms but the "old" Bulldogs were great carry guns but were definitely no meant to be "shooter" in any quantity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input fellas.

I'm looking for a gun for pocket carry. I currently use an SP101, which goes down great in jeans, but is too heavy at 25oz to drop into your suit jacket or trouser pocket !

The S&W Ti guns look good at about 11oz BUT they are expensive (and look so pretty I'd hate to scuff one)

I looked at taurus Total Titanium and found that they weigh in at 16oz - the same as the Charter 2000 38 - and it's all steel !

The list price on the stainless, bobbed hammer, charter is under $260. I may be able to get one for about $225, which is not bad.

My wife's Ladysmith is 14.5oz and it feels ok in the jacket pocket - so perhaps this 16oz Charter will too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I looked at taurus Total Titanium and found that they weigh in at 16oz - the same as the Charter 2000 38 - and it's all steel !
Isn't the gripframe of the Charter revolvers made of aluminum? As I recall, their revolvers are designed so that the frame around the cylinder is made of steel but the less-stressed portion of the frame is made of a lightweight alloy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I carried a Charter Arms.38spl.on & off duty for 15 years before replacing it with a S&W J frame.I always had Colts and S&W's at the same time but I liked the Charters larger front sight , light weight ,exposed and therefore ambi. ejection rod and inexpensive replacement cost if lost ,damaged or stolen.If these newest offerings are half as good as their old models,You could do much worse in Your selection of a back-up/off duty revolver.tom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.