Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Chip McCormick drop in sear, trigger, hammer, and grip safety in my Norinco 1911. But now, the thumb safety no longer engages smoothly or positively. Almost impossible to thumb into position, and does not want to stay in safe position.

Any thoughts on cause or cure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
TedT;

Don't have a good answer for your problem, but I was looking at putting the trigge/sear/hammer combo for my series 80 to drop the trigger pull. Has it helped out with you ? Have you considered swapping out your sear spring also ?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm assuming your thumb safety worked correctly before the new parts were put in....

Therefore, the safety is probably rubbing internally on the sear. Drop in parts are seldom true drop ins. They usually require a bit of fitting. I would suggest having a smith take a look at this for you, unless you know how to fit thumb safety/sear engagment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not actualy live fired it since installing the parts due to safety functioning oddly. But in dry firing, there is a very noticeable improvement in trigger pull and break, very crisp and clean.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The engagement surface of the thumb safety needs fitted. It is not that hard but it is hard to explain. Check with a local pistol plumber, he can fill you in.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Anytime you change the sear you must check the fit of the thumb safety. If the new sear has a different dimension the safety may not clear it or may have too much clearance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts