Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys own one of these, and if so what are your thoughts? Gun sure LOOKS nice but I'm kind of leary of the aluminum frame thing I guess :grin:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have the Custom CDP, and an Ultra Carry. Both have seen about 1000 rnds. The Ultra Carry is showing far more wear, but I think it is due to the lack of anodizing on the feed ramp.

My Custom CDP has the anodizing and is showing NO wear yet. I carry both, so they don't get a lot of shooting time right now, but I'll work on that. :smile:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Pro CDP and a Compact CDP. I consider both of these to be excellent "carry" pistols. Both have about a thousand rounds through them without a hic-up or showing any wear.

If I were to own only one pistol I would probably NOT choose an aluminum framed pistol. This is soley because I shoot a lot. Kimber claims 20,000 rounds with no problems through these. For most shooters that is a life time of shooting. If you plan to shoot more then that over the pistols lifetime, you might be better served from a steel framed pistol. Or better yet, buy several 1911's and enjoy them all!!!!!!!

Good shooting,

Dean

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dean Gamburd on 2001-07-19 13:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an Ultra CDP and this thing is GREAT! Nice and lightweight. Very little recoil for such a small, light gun and I've had Zero problems with it shooting 230gr. Federal ball or 230 gr. Hydra shoks I don't see any signs of wear after an ESTIMATED 2500 rds. I'll keep you posted as time goes by.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My ex-boss, the one that said that any pistol the guys carried, could not be cocked and locked. Anyhow, just before I left he bought a Kimber that was the CDP type. Bevel and all that, but it was full size and had a steel frame. I belive! it was called a Custom Combat, but I'm not sure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Riley on 2001-08-03 19:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
27 Posts

This was a birthday gift from my new wife about 7 months ago. (The gun, that is! I bought the Galco Jackass from a fellow 1911 Forum member.)

I like the gun & enjoy shooting it, but my time has been so limited I only have about 500 rounds thru it. The only malfunction has been premature slide lock with full power 230g FMJ round nose; last week I altered the slide lock to see if that will solve the problem but haven't had an opportunity to test it yet. If that doesn't fix it, I'll give Kimber a call. Other than that it has been flawless, is accurate, and carries well - although I need to send more lead down range before I am comfortable enough for this to be my primary carry gun, which it will be. At that time I'll begin to expand my holster collection for it.

I too was concerned with the wear on the aluminum frame, so I worked the only solution I could arrive at - I bought a full sized Classic Stainless! Again, range time has been limited but when I do get out to shoot my .45's, I'll do about 75% with the full sized gun & about 25% with the Ultra CDP.

I'm hoping to see myself clear & send the Stainless off to a smith for some work - I'm leaning towards Dane but haven't spoken to anyone yet. (I know these guys are busy & since I don't have the $$ yet, I don't want to take up their time.) I'd like a different set of sights (probably not night sights - this is primarily a range gun), trigger job (even though it is pretty good now, it could be improved), some cosmetic/function work to the front strap, slide top & rear, etc. etc. None of this is truly necessary for it to be reliable, but I can appreciate the craftmanship & the pride in ownership.

I just need to keep my wallet shut & stop buying guns so I can get the work done! :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kevinch on 2001-08-09 10:27 ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.