Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pretty much always do a thorough cleaning of my 1911s after I shoot them. With my routine, this includes a hose down of the entire gun with Gun Scrubber prior to lubing it.
However, I do not detail strip everything all the time when cleaning. Thus some gun scrubber must get into the internals and wash out some gunk inside as well. As you may know, gun scrubber really degreases and dries everything out. I do lube the gun, but never lubed the internals, like the firing pin channel, extractor channel, sear, leaf spring, disconnector, etc. Is it ok for gun scrubber to get on these parts without lubing it afterwards?

Also, has anyone used KG guncare products? I'm looking for ways to clean my guns thoroughly without scrubbing away for an hour. Gun scrubber works to an extent, but it doesn't get all the fouling and grime out that is stuck to the metal. It seems to only get rid of loosened debris after I scrub away. Also, that stuff is pretty toxic, and would like something a little safer. WD-40? KG-3? I'll still always lube after I'm done cleaning, but want the best and quickest way to get all the parts white glove clean.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Jeez, I don't know which "place" to answer you at..... :wink:
Check "over there" this time!

PS - The Benchmade 722 is sweet. I picked one up on Monday. Very well made and solid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-07-18 13:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ken,
Gun Scrubber / Brake Kleen / et al, is indeed pretty strong stuff. Personally, I only use it as a degreaser prior to loc-titing parts. When I do use it, I take it outdoors and I wear rubber gloves, or hold the part with pliers. My skin is just not as bullet-proof as it used to be.
As far as my own cleaning beliefs go, if using lead bullets, I field strip every 500 rounds and detail strip every 1500 rounds. If I'm shooting only jacketed bullets with a clean burning powder like Clays or N-320, I can double those numbers.
Whatever parts are disassembled are hand-washed (again -w- gloves) in odorless mineral spirits and scrubbed with an M-16 brush, or one of several different size nylon bore brushes. I wipe them down and blow them dry with compressed air.
I give all the clean parts a light spritz of Brownells Rust Preventative #2 oil and then wipe it down with a rag. I use a light drop of oil to lube all the normal internal points. I never lube the extractor tunnel or the firing pin bore, as it attracts trash.

The guns that I've had to work on that were regularly washed in Gun Scrubber without detail stripping had a lot of dried up gunk inside them and everything was just dried out and gritty.
IMHO, there is no "easy way" to clean and maintain your gun. I have not tried any of the soaking type cleaners like "Ed's Red" or "C&S Dunk-Kit". I'm a little bit afraid of a customer bringing me a gun with an unnoticed problem with the finish, soaking it in a solution that makes his unnoticed problem noticeable and then owing him a refinishing job. That, and if I don't take apart, I can't inspect it. I guess that's my best reason for detail stripping and hand scrubbing; you have an excellent opportunity to inspect your parts.
John Harrison
Precision Gunworks
Canton, GA

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Harrison on 2001-07-18 18:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Harrison on 2001-07-18 18:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ken,

Don't use WD-40, especially on internals unless you want a handful of rusted together junk in 3 months. WD-40 draws Moisture like a magnet. I know this from personal experience.
I've used Break Free CLP for years to clean everything including the barrel. If you don't detail strip every time, then spray Gun scrubber liberally on internals,tip and let drain, then repeat. After dry, 2 or 3 drops of CLP on either side of hammer pivit point will run down and lube internals after working Hammer action(with slide on) a frew times. Gun scrubber on a patch is excellent to remove any CLP residue from inside of the barrel also. I've used this procedure for 15 years and it works for me on carbon, aluminum, and stainless.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.