Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have first hand experience with Tripp Research's (www.trippresearch.com) Cobra Coat Polymer finish on a handgun?

If so:
1. Were you pleased?
2. Does the finish stay on?
3. Would you send another gun to have Cobra Coat applied?
4. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being Hard Chrome, 5 being blued steel) how durable is the finish?

Thanks!
Howard Benz
Memphis

·
Registered
137 Posts
One of my shooting partners had his P14 done in Cobra Chrome. It is his duty piece and that was 2+yrs ago and it still looks good. It is a hard chrome process so it is and does last like hard chrome. If it was needed a numbe of us that shoot together would send our firearms out to Virgil.

The Cobra Coat is like many of the other spray on coating out there. Since Virgil's outfit is doing it, have to say its got a good reputtion behind it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just got my STI/Briley IPSC open class gun back from Tripp Research. They did a BEAUTIFUL job hard chroming it. I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

I'm building a gun for limited class also and wanted a black finish. Tripp says that Cobra Coat is not as good a hard chrome in hardness, wear resistance, and corrosion resistance but is far superior to blueing in those areas.

Going by the quality of their chrome finish I'm going to have the limited gun done in Cobra Coat. I don't know how quick you needed a review on this finish, but it'll probably be a month or so till I get my gun built, and back from T.R. I will post the results.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I'm the one building it I can! Here's the pics of the Cobra Chromed gun. By the way, you can believe the hype. I sent this gun to Tripp and had it back in just over a week!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hhsmiley on 2001-09-07 02:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great looking work there. Ok, so give me the skinny on the Optima 2000 site. I think it would be the absolute HEAT on a flat-top AR15! Thoughts

Regards,
Howard

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2001-09-11 23:44, hhsmiley wrote:
So far the sight has worked great. I don't know how long it will stand up to the continued pounding of being on top of a fast cycling slide. It should work even better on an AR though.
So, after this time, how has the Optima performed? Tough enough?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.