Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am moving to Colorado Springs in August. Tom has already given me some info. on IPSC, IDPA, and 3-gun and it looks like there will be plenty to keep me busy.

Anybody have info. on bird hunting, praire dog shooting, a good place to shoot (public land, close by, not a range), and good mexican food?

If anyone wants to get together to shoot, fish, play poker, drink beer and tell lies, let me know! :grin:

Scott

·
Registered
70 Posts
Scott,

Looking forward to meeting you if you shoot IPSC.

All the best Mexican food places are in Pueblo, but there is a really good one in Springs, I think the name is Estella's, just west of Motor City. BTW, I'm overdue for one of their Margaritas, give me a call when you have time and I'll meet you there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well there is some real good preserve hunting for phesants, chukar, and quail about 20 minutes outside of c springs going east. They also have a serious sporting clays course there and a 5 stand. Doves are best down in Pueblo with some interesting duck hunting. Light goose hunting is ok down near Pueblo and south also. Dark goose and ducks are best north near the town of Wiggins, a bit south of greely. Quail are scattered throughout the state as are phesants, mainly east of I-25. Ptarmigan in the mountains are under hunted, and the grouse can be thick in years. The chukar are also under utilized. You better be part billygoat for the chukar, they like the worst canyon country, and the ptarmigan, well they just piss me off. Grouse hunting is still managable in the aspens and spruce stands.

Lots of public hunting land available, and private is sometimes available.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tax,

Just left the Springs. Hook up with Larry Ashcraft - top notch people and does some shooting "on the ranch". Also, there is Rampart range up in the hills - best to four-wheel up there. Stay away during pre-hunting season as there are some whacko's launching lead trying to tune up their recoilless rifles for hunting.

As far as Me'ican food, try Tres Hombres up in Woodland Park; If you like Burrito's there is a new franchise called Chipotle' on Academy and one downtown right next to Jack Quinns Irish Pub that has the best (and cheapest) I've ever had. There is also a place on Colorado Ave called "Amanda's Fonda" (also one over by "mountain Momma" on Uinta (?)Street. They only buy enough groceries for the day and home-make all their food. You won't be disappointed.

I've only been gone a month and miss the place tremendously.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh yeah, "on the ranch". We are about 10 miles East of Pueblo on the Arkansas river. We do a little shootin' on weekends so drop me a line when you get settled. It's the only range I know of where we serve lunch and beer after the shootin'.

BTW, my wife told me last night that Estella's has closed, I don't know why, the place always had a line to get in. I'll find out more if I can.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...There are a couple family places downtown...Lemme' know when you get here and I'll show you around...you gotta' watch that Ashcraft guy...Last time I was down there, he tried to drop a 50ft cottonwood on me...made me work all damn day long and then wouldn't lemme' use his gunsmith anymore :wink:

...no matter where ya' go

...there ya' are...

...BanZai from the 8th

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-07-26 23:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
grrgrrgrumblrgrumble...pay no attention to him!!!

He's ABOUT TO BE A GRAMPA' FROM HIS SHOOTIN' SON!!!

Congrats again Grampa'...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Why can't I live down there with YOU guys, instead of in liberal infested Metro Denver :roll:

Someone adopt me, okay? :lol:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
C'mon now JLM...you'd be miserable down here on the high desert...Pikes Peak or one of the others always on the horizon, thousands of old log roads and 4-wheel drive trails, game animals stealin' food from yer' pets...

...yup...you wouldn't like it

·
Registered
70 Posts
gyp_c2 wrote:
"He's ABOUT TO BE A GRAMPA' FROM HIS SHOOTIN' SON!!!"

Yeah, and it looks like it's gonna happen tonight! I'll start a thread later, this is gonna be the newest IPSC shooter on the board. (Momma and Dad are doing good, grandma's pacing.)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Gyp,

Jah man, it sounds just AFWUL down there :wink: That would just be atrocious :lol:

I'd prolly miss the choking SMOG of the metro area too, and the constant sinus problems I have :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.