Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for adding some color to adjustable sights? My sights (Kimber Classic) are all black. I read somewhere that some people have used model paint and others have used nail polish. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just used to carry a bottle of 'white out'
or 'liquid paper' to brush it on the Front sight. It stays on good untill you clean the gun or carry it a long time in a holster.
It's cheap and comes in several colors. I used to use white or yellow. To eaply, just scrape off the old w/finger nail and reaply.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My daughter had some bright orange nail polish that works well on the front sight. It's apparently impervious to solvent, as I have only had to build up a bead on the sight once. I've used this stuff on three or four of my pistols with great success.

Removing it is easy too... nail polish remover.

--Mark

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don’t care for any color other than black on my sights. Unless they are night sights, then it is a two dot like the Heinie straight eight.

Make sights complicated and its just one more thing to think about when the gun comes up. Just like those damn fiber sights.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On 2001-07-10 22:14, Tom Freeman wrote:
Just like those damn fiber sights.

Tom
AF Shooting Team
...Don't mind him...He was frightened by a giant "fiber optic" as a small child...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Most who like black sights are those young guys that can see them!!!

Some young guys, and many of us old fogies, have a difficult seeing the front sight--esp when against a black background.

I use anything to at least give me a blur of color, Ashley Big Dot, fiber optics, yellow model paint, yellow car touch up paint, etc. Being able to focus on the front sight in a stressful situation is a luxury some shooters do not enjoy.

Yes, I know all about all of the trick glasses, etc. I know of none that can become part of the everyday street wear, so I'll stick with my lineless trifocals, and paint my front sights. GLV

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have used the orange "brightsights" and it is a good product for painting sites. Seems to work a little better than fingernail polish or model paint. I have only used it on the red inserts on my SW revolvers. For me the red insert always disappears against a brown or dark background

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.