Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not a 1911, but rumor has it that Colt made other pistols as well...:wink:

I recently acquired a neat 1908 Hammerless in .380. From another board member, it appears that it's from 1923 (serial #688XX).

I'm having issues with the thumb safety. It wants to drop from "fire" to "safe" under gravity alone.

The safety is two pieces. The shaft and the thumb piece with notch to stop the sear. Is the thumb piece designed to rotate freely on the shaft or should the entire assembly move when you apply the safety?

Neat old pistol. Can't wait to fire it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also have one that was made in 1920. A very accurate pistol. However, I have found that hydroshocks and silver bear hollowpoints will not feed in it reliably because the end of the bullet is either too long or too wide. Winchester SXT, silvertip, and pmc gold dot feed in it really well.
Check gunpartscorp.com to see if they have a spring for your thumb/slide safety that might be broken or loose. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no spring, and the thumb piece should not rotate on the shaft. I should be silver soldered to the shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts