Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Sirs, I am now a reformed lurker. Also I Super covert. I fell in love with a .38S CC. I traded my 1991 carry gun and some cash for weapon I have never fired. It was dirty and now it is clean and has a home. It is used yet not abused.The satin plating is pitted in places and there was some rust. I intend to find out more about #70SCXXXX. I intend to leave it stock. I intend to shoot it. While cleaning the slide I noticed that I could not get the extractor out of the slide, in fact there is a sizable slot machined that exposes the extractor! This slot is finished and looks normal. In all my work with Colt's firearms I've never seen this. How dose this extractor come out? Your imput is very much appreciated. Thanks. Calthrop

·
Registered
555 Posts
I may very well be wrong, but I believe some of the guns had the slide lightened by milling the metal away exposing the extractor from the the underside...
anyway to remove the extractor..push in the firing pin so that it pushes clear of the firing pin stop. Then remove the FP stop by pushing it out of the slide. Be careful here as the firing pin will now come shooting out under spring pressure. once the FP stop is out this should give access to remove the extractor. If there is a lot of tension on it you may need to spring the hook into the tunnel and guide it out..

·
Registered
46 Posts
EERW "is not" very well be wrong.

Follow as instructed above, 38s extractor hook reaches
much further into the breech face than 45.

Try small brass punch or similar to force extractor hook
back into tunnel. "not fun"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou both EERW and JB. Just now finished fishing the extractor out of its slot. A brass punch put pressure on the claw end and a slight tug using fingers on the FPS slot and it simply slid out-GASP. I an going half to get used to the lighting slots machined into the slide and do more research into .38S CC. this gets better every day. Thanks again, Calthrop.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My original packin' piece ( since about '74) is a s70 38 Super. The slide is exactly as you describe. I've seen them ( and 9mm CDR slides) in the lightened version & without the lightening cuts. Another thing I've noticed on my 45CDRs is that the ejector cut is the same on them as on the 38s/9mm slides. Not so on the full size guns. ????

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.38s Combat Commander and BBBBill thankyou for responding. This commander thing just gets better and better. The lighting cut or the lack thereof in a slide brings to mind slide speed. Slide speed dampened by recoil springs. Am I nit-picking here to protect my new baby? Will stock springs do just fine? What about recoil buffers on the shortened guide rod in combinaton with other weight of springs? I have always used variable springs (17.5)in five inch guns with 230gr. rounds. Light and fast just has not been my style 1967. What are the .38s shooters using? I find Jerry Kuhnhausen less supportive than ususal here. No camera

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To whom it may concern: I was just now over on the 1911 site. There is a post there about LW Ccomanders having lighting cuts in the slide one of which exposes the extractor! So I quess my main question has been answered except that my slide is marked COMBAT COMMANDER. Then there is the steel frame-I checked it using a magnet. Thanks for all the helpful posts. Calthrop.

·
Registered
503 Posts
From what I can tell Colt never had a hard and fast system on Combat Commander Slides. I have had 4 3 series 70 Combat commanders.

2 of them had the lightening cuts and two did not. Date did not seem to matter.

Apparently they pick a 4 1/4" slide at random off the line and then stamp the rollmarks on.

OTOH, all LW commanders I have seen have the lightning cuts, but I would not be surprised to find one that did not.

Jim H.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts