Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing with one today at the friendly local store, and was wondering what makes the Cowboy a $700 gun vs. the 3rd Gen SAA at $1900. I know that the Cowboy has a transfer bar firing pin setup, but what else is different? What accessories and parts would interchange with the original SAA's? Same holsters and grips?

I've thought about Uberti, Cimmarron, etc., but at least the Cowboy is really a "Colt .45."

Any help is appreciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hilton Yam on 2001-07-25 19:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hilton,
You oughta run that question on the SASS net. You'll spark an unending discussion.

The Cowboy is a totally different piece internally and I didn't bother looking into it after I found out about the transfer bar. Just don't like the change. Kinda like having a safety lecture scribed in the barrel. Early ones I handled were also rough as a cob.

Figgered I'd rather have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero (whose grip I like better than the COLT Bisleys and is a stronger gun but I don't personally care for any Ruger SAA-type grip since the old XR3 used on the flat tops).

Holsters are no problem. Most factory holsters are sized to fit the larger Ruger Vaqueros so Colts slide right in.

Grips are a problem even within the same run of Colt single actions--frame sizes vary tremendously. That's a crap shoot.

Lot's of contradictory "inside" dope about whether 3rd Gen SAA's are made in Italy and to some degree finished here and same with the Cowboys. Some claim they're sourced out of several outfits Stateside but none claim Colt is actually making either from the ground up.

Only you can make the trade off for what suits your needs, but personally, I opt for sucking up the price and going with the SAA (preferably 2d or 1st Gen--which is probably a better investment than a 3rd Gen) or a Ruger over the Colt Cowboy or a clone.

You can, by the way, still run across the old flat top Rugers which are to my taste a much better feeling weapon than anything offered by Ruger today--especially if you visualize hunting with it.

You may remember that I was pretty ecstatic though to pick up that consignment 2d Gen SAA at the range when we were shooting with Dane and that's my trade off and don't regret it however much I think the price is a rip off--and I have a brace of flattop Ruger 44's with the bbls truncated to 4-5/8" which set unused while I shoot the Colts.

The current Colts do require some action work to smooth out the actions and to prolong parts life. That's likely with 2d or 3rd Gen guns except perhaps for the earliest 2d Gens. If you DO opt for the Colt, most of thelocal gunsmiths who work on them do so for CAS and they like to make the actions REAL slushy to my taste. You want to be careful about that.

Let us know which way you go. I think you have my card if you want to talk more specifically about it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't know jack about single actions, but if you just want a cool single action pistol for a good price you should check out http://www.reedercustomguns.com

I have no afiliation with them at all, but they are cool enough that I wanted one pretty bad for a time and I don't even like single actions. Take a look.

Jake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buy a Ruger Bisley or Plain Vaquero. I have owned both for some time and a more indestrucable (and powerful) handgun is not made by anyone for the price. The stainless versions are slicker and usually have better triggers but the blued ones are great too.
Good Luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
Colt Cowboy.

I won't work on these. They are a Ruger made by Colt. Almost no one uses them in CAS. The only sixguns I recommend are Cimarron Arms. I don't care much for Rugers , either, but they are very tough, good shooting guns and the gamers like them alot in .357's. The newer Colt's are pretty bad since they have been having problems at the factory but theGeneral may bring them back in line. I had one new in the box that they could not put 9 screws in right. The hammer screw was the only one in right and the trigger screw had 5 little red washers on it because it was in the hole for the bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.