Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received ny Colt GCT on May 1 and before 1K rounds the rear sight leaf pin broke and fell out; also the windage screw detent pin.
Called Colt and they said return and they would repair and refund my shipping cost.
That they did but after 560 rounds, the leaf pin broke again. This is the Eliason sight.
Not wanting to return to Colt again, I went through my 60 year accumulation of parts and junk and found a solid pin of the proper diameter. The original is a roll pin, .060 X 9/16" length. Mine looked good but only lasted 260 rounds; too soft I guess. Anyone have any suggestions thaat might help? I like the gun; it is accurate if I can only keep a rear sight on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sorry if this is obvious, and your aware of it, but which recoil spring is in the Gun ?

I think they come with 2, one for light target loads, the other for the full power ammo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-06-28 23:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the heavy spring in place and use what I consider to be a moderate load. 230 gr. hard cast bullet with 6 gr. Unique. I have used this load for over forty years with no problems in any other guns. Have shot many rounds through a 1958 National Match with Accro sight and no problems.

Lyman manual gives starting load for this bullet at 5.5 gr and max at 7.3 so I think 6 is very moderate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Only thing I recall is that if one retained the Elliason the roll pin was replaced with a good, hard solid pin. Other thing some did was replace the sight with a Wichita sight or I think Stroh puts on a Bomar and fills in the leftover depression and matches the rib.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The sight pin broke on my Gold Cup, after around 1200 rounds in my hands ( I bought it used). I replaced the sight with a Millet, which seems to have more contact with the slide. No problems since, after 1000 or so rounds, most in the general velocity range of your Unique load, and 100 or so +P's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It also helps to put a small slab of rubber or neoprene under the sight to prevent slap. I have a pre-70 NM with Elliason sight and a solid cross pin. The neoprene, cut just a bit too thick with a razor blade, is a slight comllpression fit under the rear flat of the sight body. Works great. No problems and the gun is now nearing 25 yrs of service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.