Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a nib Gold Cup Trophy of recent manufacture. I have not had a Gold Cup since the mid 70's. I am interested in any feed back pro or con on this gun. Any imput from forum members greatly appreciated. I am thinking of adding it to my collection.

· Registered
351 Posts
I"m also thinking of getting one, just like some of the things it has, like the wide trigger, the funky sear/ hammer and such.

The price isn't much higher than the current XSE guns and is compareable to other guns. I've usually heard good things about GC accuracy so it should be a fun gun. Right now, I don't have a full-size .45 (though I have 3 1911's, 2 38's and a Defender 45) so I just might...

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I went back to the shop drooled a little and then took it home for $850 out the door. There is no play between the slide and frame and the barrel lockup is tight. The trigger breaks like a glass rod at 4 pounds and it's finish is Colts Royal Blue. Now its time to get to the range and see if it shoots as good as the one I had in the mid 70's.

I will add this to my Clark Custom Kimber, Pro CDP, Ultra Carry, SA TRP, and my Wilson CQB.

Long live the 1911

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Guys
I just had a thought. Does Colt use MIM parts in the Gold Cup Trophy or tool steel?
If it uses MIM I guess I will have to switch out the ignition system.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
All the production guns use MIM on a number of parts. Most of the semi production guns use a great deal of MIM. Some of the custom shop guns @ Springfield and the LB and Wilson guns use tool steel hammers.

MIM isn't bad, just different.

· Registered
351 Posts
It came up on a thread over on the 1911forum.
Colt uses Mim for their grip safety and something else I don't recall (which was equally not an important part)

They are thinking of also doing the extractor in Mim, but hopefully not.

Otherwise, Colt uses mostly cast parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.