Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before XS and XSE versions was there an E version made? My 2 Colt Commanders (one a series 80 lightweight blue and the other is a 1991a1 Stainless steel) have the same features which I sometimes don't see on other Commanders in the gun shops. The features are white dot sights, undercut trigger guard and a grip safety with the paddle design.

Are my guns the "E" version?
Are the other guns that I see that do not have these features a standard configuration? Thanks...........Mike

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
timujin,

You don't happen to know the actual model #, do you?

The reason I ask, is because I have never heard of an "E" version.

Your gun sounds a lot like one of the Commanders that I have. My model# is 04091U.
It came with all the features you mention. Are the sights the standard "GI" rear in the dovetail?

Is the grip safety downswept (unlike the more commonly popular upswept "ducktail" safety)?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-04-15 10:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Colt "E" models were the Enhanced models. Here is a picture of an Enhanced Government model

It has a rib along the top of the slide, the extended grip safety, commander style hammer, it's slightly undercut under the trigger guard and has a flaired ejection port. I'm sure there are other things that make it Enhanced but that's all I can think of. The 1991A1's are not Enhanced models.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paten on 2001-04-15 11:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
timujin,

Now that Paten has posted his pic, I know exactly what you have!!! You threw me a curve when you mentioned "1991A1", because Paten is correct - they are NOT enhanced.

Paten - nice pic - anything special done to it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
The "old" enchanced series is from around 1990 IIRC. The serial # ended in E.
The XS series had all the new stuff, then they didn't ay that vendor, so they had to use the older "E" parts, making the XSE (still new features such as roll-mark, guide rod, front serations, etc, but older drop in beavertail, safety, and sights)

I think they came out with the 1991's around the same time as the Enhanced series, to serve as their "basic" guns.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The pre XS "enhanced" series 80 Colts aren't too difficult to identify. These guns normally will have an "E" appended to the end of their serial number sequence, as VoceNoctum has observed.

Features and configurations varied widely, but here is an example or two of a factory stock "E" Combat Commander I purchased a year or so ago:

Haven't had any problems whatsoever with the gun, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. In most respects of consequence, they are the equal of the XS models which followed -- indeed many (if not most) of the same components were used.

Chuck

·
Registered
113 Posts
I forgot to mention that this particular gun (above) is a '97/98 vintage example. When I spoke with the guys in Hartford, they told me that these were the first guns tooled up to compete head to head with the new Kimber onslaught, so if there were enhanced guns released prior to this (as we believe that there were), the specifications are going to be a lot closer to a conventional Mk IV than what you see in my Commander.

Chuck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys. Paten's picture is my 80 series MKIV gun (mines a lt.wt. commander). Same grips and the rib on top of the slide is the same and the same speed hammer.

Now my 1991a1 Stainless steel Commander model has some of those "enhanced" features like undercut trigger guard, grip safety, sights and hammer. I own two of these pistols purchased 6 months apart last year and they are identical. There isn't an E in my serial numbers on the 1991s.

I see in the showcase at one of our local shops are Parkerized/black 1991a1 commanders with the old style spur hammer and grip safety like you would find on any commander before the 80 series. Blank sights and no undercut trigger guard.

What I'm figuring out by the onfo you guys have provided is that has put some "enhanced" items on Stainless Steel 1991-a1 Commanders. The fullsize stainless steel guns are devoid of any of the "enhanced" items.

Has anyone seen a 1991-a1 Stainless steel commanders without the "enhancements".
Thanks.........Mike

·
Registered
378 Posts
okay, the Commander 1991 Stainless (not blue) uses the Enchanced parts (Colt came out with them just before the hit their slump, and they're back out now, got one in the store)

I don't think they came out with an all stainless commander with "just" the 1991 stuff, though the blued commander 1991 is base. (except for the commander hammer of course :smile:
Course, that undercut trigger guard is one of the main things I like about Colt's Enchanced series, the rest is just parts :smile:

·
Registered
95 Posts
My commander is identical to the picture posted by Paten, except for the size of course. Having shot about 700 rounds through it so far of everything I could get my hands on it hasn't hiccupped yet. Accuracy could stand be better, but so far reliability is 100%. I think I'm going to send it to a smith to improve the fit of the barrel, put a tighter bushing on it, new sights and a Brown beavertail.

I bought it used for $450 and I love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts