Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I gave into temptation and bought the little .380. It will replacing my Beretta Tomcat as a pocket gun. I really wish Colt starts making these guns again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
"Mattk",
Good luck with your new pistol. I've always been fond of the Mustang and later the Pony as light weight, easily concealable
(and in my case second or back-up) guns. Check out CAC'S website at http://www.customarms.com.
Pistolsmith Pete Carber offers some nice work on the gun. My Pony
is de-horned, the action smooth, the front and baskstrap stippled, the extended grip tang removed, and Ashley Express sights installed; making a fine gun even better IMHO.

Safe shooting,

Mark Garrity
Garrity's Gunleather

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,
Thanks! I am in the process of testing ammo and looking for a nice light pocket holster for the Mustang. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
515 Posts
While the high-dollar custom Mustangs are cute as the dickens, there are only a few minor things that the pistol really needs. They need a stronger mag catch spring (Cylinder & Slide sells them) to avoid dumping the magazine unintentionally. The slide could use a good dehorning...unless you want to use the front edges as a field expedient wood chisel. The little integral front sight is helped by a dab of bright paint (this is especially the case on the stainless models).

Although it runs counter to my expectations, it seems to me that the factory dual-recoil springs and the plastic guide rod is more reliable than the after-market single springs and stainless guide rods. Just lay in some spares.

As to ammo; it's a .380...ball is probably as good as any and may actually penetrate enough to get the job done.

Rosco

·
Registered
262 Posts
Check out http://www.colt380.com

That's the Scott, McDougal & Associates website. They do .380 work almost exclusively and their Pocket Carry Package (about $300) fixes just about everything that needs fixing on a Mustang. They do really nice work.

For a photo of one of their full custom jobs, check out my For Sale ad in the Sale/Trade section. I've got a PocketLite with every bell and whistle you can possibly have on a Mustang. It's a sweetie. Selling it to pay for a couple of new toys, but I can't say enough good about SM&A's work.

As for ammo, the Federal 90gr Personal Defense load is about as good as it gets in .380. I'd avoid the CorBon like the plague. Way too variable for my tastes.

The Galco pocket holster and the Milt Sparks pocket holster for the Mustang are great ways to carry the Mustang. I've carried mine in the Galco for the last couple of years. Pretty comforatble. If you're looking for an ankle holster, Alessi makes the best around.

Chad

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh, and change your recoil spring every 500 rounds or so. They really take a beating on a little gun like the Mustang. I have the SM&A stainless full length guide rod and use Wolff 12# springs. Nary a hiccup yet.

Chad

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys.
I really dont think this gun needs work done to it. I am going to put a dab of paint on the front sight. But other than that it seems fine. I will look at the Galco Holster for pocket carry. I am thinking of going with the SM&A guide rod too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, if Chuck can post photos of his . . .

New Photos!

Chad

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with the Alessi RuffOut pocket holster. I really like this little gun. I need to buy some more mags for it but I know they are rare. I am going on the hunt right after work to see if I can find one or two in a Gunshop around here.
Thanks
Guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts