Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m a sucker for Colt`s, especially the Black Guns, so when I saw this one, which I had been looking for about a year now I had to have it. Always thought it was a great compact, although not light.

It`s a Officers Slide on a Commander Steel Frame, 3 1/2 " barrel. Marked " 1911 Recon" on Left, "Compact Model" on right of slide. Serial # RECON02xx.

Be interested in any info on number made and dates of production, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-06-21 11:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
..well looks like my Pic Host site is down again...:sad:

Back up :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-06-21 08:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
209 Posts
Back in 1986, I purchased a Colt 'Commanding Officers' model. It was the same config, except with the deep, poliched blue finish, and Rosewood grips.

It was fun, and I liked having the full grip, but the balance with the short barrel was slightly off for me, and I ended up selling it, and getting another Commander.

I wish I still had it, I think they did less than 500 of the Commanding Officers, and I would suspect the numbers are probably close with the Recon. IIRC, the Recon came out in the late 80's or early 90's.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On 2001-06-21 12:54, VoceNoctum wrote:
The Recon was sort of a 1991 version of the Commanding Officers. It was made around 97 IIRC.

I always wondered how one of these would look with the Bobtail config.
What do you mean when you say" bobtail"?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Oh...that "bobtail"...I like that...especially the "Brown" part it's attached to...:wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-21 12:54, VoceNoctum wrote:
The Recon was sort of a 1991 version of the Commanding Officers. It was made around 97 IIRC.

I always wondered how one of these would look with the Bobtail config.
Really??? Then they did something else in that late 80/early 90 period... I remember seeing one, anad can't recall if it was an S80, or S90 based gun.

I'd sure like one of those 'Brown' parts that the Bobtail is attached to also... in fact, I like the Bobtail, but they could keep it, just give me THAT other part :grin:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've got a Colt 'Commando" model, which I believe came out about the same time as the 'Commanding Officers' pistol. The Commando is the same configuration but entirely SS, and was also a run of 500 units. IIRC, these models were precursors to the "Recon", which, bye the way, sold for only 1-2 years then was yanked due to sluggish sales .

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-22 02:11, dpcdivr wrote:
I've got a Colt 'Commando" model, which I believe came out about the same time as the 'Commanding Officers' pistol. The Commando is the same configuration but entirely SS, and was also a run of 500 units. IIRC, these models were precursors to the "Recon", which, bye the way, sold for only 1-2 years then was yanked due to sluggish sales .
Ahhhh... That may be the missing model I was thinking about... Comando, Recon... Same, same... Ask any Spec Ops Jarhead :grin:

Ahhh... Dead brain cells... Just gotta love them :wink:

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2001-06-22 02:11, dpcdivr wrote:
I've got a Colt 'Commando" model, which I believe came out about the same time as the 'Commanding Officers' pistol. The Commando is the same configuration but entirely SS, and was also a run of 500 units.
The problem is, Colt did everything in limited runs of 500 :smile:

IIRC, these models were precursors to the "Recon", which, bye the way, sold for only 1-2 years then was yanked due to sluggish sales .
Yeah, like I said, the Recon was the "1991" version of the preceding models. A cheaper alternative. As a point of reference, I'm almost positive they were on teh current big blue boxes with the Recon. That was ~97 also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found a "Lt. Commander" used in a gun shop last year. It is a Series '80 with a bright blue anodized aluminun alloy frame and blue steel Officer's slide. It has "Lt. Commander" engraved on the right side of the slide, bracketed by epaulets each containing a single star. I had a Brown Bobtail installed. It is a neat carry .45. Probalbly another one of those special runs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.