I recently saw a Colt police positive in 38S&W complete with RHKP on
the back strap and a lanyard ring.
Any info will be helpfull.

Thanks.
DLG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, got one of those Hong Kong Colts, lanyard ring etc. Barrel has been restamped "38 Special" and cylinder changed (does not match, looks like crap). The only thing these folks have to worry about who want to put +P ammo in their 38s is stretching the frame after a while-- sooner or later, depending. They ain't gonna "blow." Except I gotta admit I would be CAREFUL and probably not bother trying that with the RHK Police Colt. What for? Too many nice newer guns out there. Damn shame they disontinued the Federal 125 grain VERY soft lead non+P-- it was really the ONLY ammo you could trust to do the job out of an snubby-- new or old, that 2" barrel just ain't enough.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hong Kong started using Colt pistols in the 1920's when Colonel Fairbairn was on the department.
They used Colt's up to sometime in the 1960's, then started buying S&W's and later Ruger's, as I recall.

They used the Colt Police Positive Special revolver and the Colt 1908 automatic, with some .45 autos for use by the Brits on the department.

The pre-war Colt Police Positive Special was factory rated for the old 38-44, which was somewhere between a .38 +P+ or light .357 Magnum load.
Colt probably figured that if anyone shot enough to ruin the gun, they could afford to replace it.

While the old Police Positive Special will safely shoot the modern .38 +P, it will accelerate wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts