Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody looking for a real Retro Pistol?
Here it is. This is a Pistol I did a little
at a time for an Older Gentleman, more years ago that I would like to remember.
Series 70 Gov't. Model 45
*Low Mount Micro Sights. Like you see in "Cooper On Handguns", not Melted.
*Opened and Flaired Ejection Port
*Throated and Polished
*Long Colt Steel Trigger
*Trigger Job (Has Original Spur Hammer)
*Front Sight is a Staked on .150 Wide
(This is what Customer Wanted)
Pistol is like new. Has been shot, but has Never seen the inside of a Holster.
I never Stamped the Pistol. I will furnish
a letter stating I did the work.
I have the Original Box, which is in excellent condition. Owners Manual is missing. I am not sure if the Grips are Original to the Pistol. Still has Collet Bushing.
Price $2000

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Richard Heinie on 2001-07-19 12:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
In case anyone wonders, I sugested Dick put this gun here instead of on the "for sale" forum. Early '70s custom guns are hard to fine in perfect shape. I'd like to own this one :grin:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I am lucky to see and play with a number of early guns, the couple from the late '20s and early '30s, and the custom and production guns from the '70s.

I have Comercial Colt with the Micro rear just as Dick desribed but it is being refinished at the moment. That is the gun that would make the connection between post WWII and the Series 70 Custom guns pictured.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Before Bruce jumps on and gives me any shit.... they aren't all mine and the Micro sighted gun is a customer's :grin:

While Hieine, Vickers, Garthwaite, Krebs and the rest of us can make a can make you a nice new blaster there is something to be said for some of the old ones too! It's not like they wear out.

Here is a little heads up for the guys who might not know the history of some of the early custom guns. Hardballer sights, ramp fronts and a big notch and HV rear site blade were some of the first custom sights, Micros were something like the third generation and one of the most popular adjustable from the 1930s on right up till the Bomars came out. Bomar had a couple of early versions that looked more like the S&Ws shown here. The gun I am working on with Micros does have the rear sight melted and low mounted. It also has a .110" front and a 1.125" rear notch. Flat main, long trigger and ivories are all original plus at least one, very well done reblue. A gunman's 1911 from the 40's or 50's I suspect.

Take a look at Askins old books or Cooper's early writings and you'll see these sights worn by the guys who knew what they were doing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-19 16:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice photo work, Dane. I like the background.
How about some details about the grips, and who worked on those guns?

Are the square trigger guard guns in the bottom photo Swenson guns?

Whose initials are those on the bottom gun in the top photo?

TIA

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve Morrison on 2001-07-19 15:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The hard chrome guns are indeed Swensons from the late '60s early '70s. The blued gun is a early Heinie that is unfinished. The complete top end, BarSto and all came from Heinie serial #86.

The intials belong to the original owner of the National Match 1927 gun. Which was ordered as a custom gun with match barrel, sights and trigger from Colt and delivered Jensen/Byrd a hardware Company in Spokane Wa. according to the Colt factory letter.

Just more wall paper for those in need :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-21 12:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
934 Posts
Proof that the early Colts were some of the best damn looking guns ever made. Love that Swenson and all the ivory grips.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great pics, Dane. Love those Swensons, especially. Thanks for keeping us educated on the 1911 history. I just knew there was something better looking made back in the '70's than platforms, double-knit 3-piece disco suits, bell-bottoms and hot pants (well, maybe not better than hot pants, on the right "boogie-girl"). "Stayin' alive, Stayin' alive..."

·
Registered
934 Posts
On 2001-07-20 00:53, Louis F. Alessi wrote:
Hey Dick, Have you looked under your bed lately? I'll bet you got a foot locker full of those oldies stashed away! I'm very, very jealous, and I hate you very, very much. :grin:
Luigi
The gun hog rears his ugly head again. :grin:

·
Registered
194 Posts
As a point of information, the two Swenson-Colts were done in 1970/71 not the late seventies and were done before Armand made the extra pin in the k-38 sights standard. The pins were added after shearing one of the sights with a steady diet of hardball.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.