Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard anything about the replica or re-issue Colt 1911A1 with all the authentic military markings and series 70 set up -- just like the old days? :smile:

Is this just a rumor? Any info, or better yet, pictures would be appreciated!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-05-15 01:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoser on 2001-05-15 11:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's from teh Colt custom shop, it'll be almost identical to a 1934 issue (or, something like that :smile:
No Series 80 FPB+ the military stampings IIRC. There was some info on teh Colt forum over at the 1911 forum, but haven't seen anything recently.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Colt had 2 of them at the NRA Convention. I was not there but Richard Heinie was, and hopefully he looked them over.

Perhaps he will post his impressions here when he gets some time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Colt had two on display at the NRA convention.They looked like WWII issue guns.Complete with old style roll marks,plastic grips and no s80 parts.They come in the kraft box also.

Suggested retail will be in the $1k range.Which,IMO is too much.
I think the plan is to make 1k pistols.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If Retail is 1K, then it might be around 699-799 for dealer's.

It is still high, but I think it'smake a grand platform for someone looking to build a "high end" custom gun that still has the horsey on it, without dealing with an old gun.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Where can I see one?
:wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Colt wants some of the market Kimber and SA has taken away from them. Selling 70ser like 1911s for 1K, isn't the way to do it.

They need to build some 70 ser like pistols with some good fixed sights(Heinie), a commander hammer and a lowered ejection port, then sell them for $500 retail, and they would sell tons of them.

waterdog

·
Registered
378 Posts
The 1911a1 isn't the 1970a1.
The 1911a1 looks like a military gun, the 1970a1 looks like a 70series, without the collet bushing. The 70 has a nicer blued finish and nicer grips.

Colt's 1991 is close to the 500$ tag you've set, but realistically, they can't make a gun like you've set out.

Well, unless they start bringing in Charles Daly's and just stamping their name on it, but I wouldn't want that gun anyway. :smile:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My wife bought my matte stainless 1991A1 as a Xmas gift about 6 years ago, for about $500.00. The gun came with lowered port, slight flare, basic polish on ramp, throated barrel. This is also a basic milspec style with full spur hammer, standard grip safety. It has been extremely reliable; a few hiccups w/in the first 200rds and no problems since then (except when I shoot too many rounds in a single session w/out cleaning, say 300 or more).

Prices don't seem to have come down much from that, and have in some cases increased, but still, to my mind, a very good platform for further customization, or a good reliable home defense arm just as it is. I have done some accuracy and handling tuning and thats about it; I could go a lot further, but wish to keep it loose enough to be reliable.

I can't imagine spending a grand on what is essentially an earlier incarnation of this piece, without tuning mods, nothing special about it really. If you want a milspec type pistol, go for one of the 1991A1 or Springfield 1911A1. You won't feel bad about tinkering with it if the desire strikes.

As to finish, that is one thing that Colt has always been known for, even on guns that were not well-recieved. Their bluing process is the best.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Max1991A1 on 2002-02-23 01:59 ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts