Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First of all, I just found this site a couple of days ago and I must say that this site is GREAT! Lots of useful info and pics too.
Anyway, I've been contemplating on getting a new gun. I used to have a full size 1911 with a comp but I sold it a couple of years ago and got a HK USP9. The gun is great and functions flawlessly but it doesn't really "fit" my hands, especially the double action trigger pull (short fingers, you see...). I keep remembering my old 1911 and how it fit my hand perfectly.
So now I am deciding whether to get a full sized 1911 or a combat commander. I am leaning towards the commander.
Question is am I giving up anything (like accuracy on longer distances) by going with the commander? I plan to use it as a carry gun and maybe even compete in some local IDPA matches.
I've been reading the forums and I see that the Wilson CQBs are very popular. Alas, I live in the Philippines and I don't think that they are available here.
Thanks for any info guys.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
IMO the Commander is perfect for the intended functions you list. There should see no noticeable decrease in accuracy for what you plan to use it for. In fact, I find the slightly shorter sight radius ideal for IDPA. It allows a faster sight picture, and it just seems to point better at typical IDPA distances.

The Commander is better balanced in my hands, and I can get better split times in multi-round drills with a Commander.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I love commanders, perfect balance of size weight and everything else. Unless you were really serious about matches that included lots of 20 yard and over shots I would stay with your instincts and get the commander.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Even with the Officer size grip I find the full size just as easy to carry. Not much difference in weight and length. I find both easy to shoot. I suggest that you go to a gun shop and handle both and see what you think about handling and concealment.

Buddy

·
Registered
443 Posts
My take, after 40 years of use; is the commander is a better CQB weapon and certainly a better CCW gun. I prefer the Combat Commander format (all steel) and started carrying one in 1972. I CCW a lightweight commander (a S&W Gunsite edition currently) but the steel version is more accurate and has better recoil control. I have always had 4.25" barrels on mine. I use an Officers Lt. Wt. that was Heineized, and lately a Defender (not as good) as a BUG.
That said the 5" gun is slightly more accurate generally and has better recoil control and a touch more velocity- which an ACP can use. I have found the slightly higher slide velocity and longer ejector of a Commander to actually be MORE reliable as the case most allways gets thrown out! The truth be told my war belts (competition and training these days) are all set up with a 5" 1911 right and a Commander left (weak side) and for me this is a perfect combo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.