Can this be done?
If so,does anyone have a
recommendation regarding what
brand slide to use?
The frame would be a Kimber.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah it can be done...like others..why....lot of expense when you could just buy a commander.

Otherwise...you'll either need to get a commander length slide and shorten the rail and maybe the dustcover on the govt frame..commander frame has shorter rail and dustcover. or buy full length slide and shorten it. Then you would either need a bushing barrel or have slide recut for a short bushing. Not sure what you'll need to do about recoil spring plug as this is a conversion I have not really put any thought too..

buy a commander :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eerw on 2001-05-09 17:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David,

To answer your question....To have a Commander.
I asked because if it was a simple matter of
trading out slides, barrel, and mainspring;
given the popularity of the four plus/minus inch
slide/barrel of the Commander it seemed a lot less expensive than buying the whole gun.
To answer your question as to "why" more directly...
why does anyone choose a Commander length 1911?

To eerw,

Now I understand.

There is more to the process than just switching out
slides/barrels/springs.

Thanks to both of you....Thought I could trip on the
cheap. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've recently gone from preferring gov't models to commanders. For me, the balance is better, it indexes faster and it just feels more manageable to shoot.

The gov't frame may seem like it fits, but the guide rod won't have enough distance to travel through its stroke and so it will get banged up. Cutting back the rails and dust cover is not important, but you will have to mill the spring channel in the frame back about 1/4" or so to allow the guide rod to travel its full distance. If you have a decent machinist, it shouldn't be too hard to do. You will also need to fit the new slide to the frame. But, once you cut back the tunnel you have a commander frame that can't be used with a gov't slide.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sport,
Sounds like you need to just need to sell or trade your Govt. in on a Commander. This will cost you a lot less in the long run and take a lot less time to do. I find Gun Shows are a great for this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts