Pistol Smith Forum banner

Commanding Officer 9x23 Project

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Biathlonman 
#1 ·
Well she's done except for her finish. I can't decide what to do. Should I hard chrome,2 tone,electroless nickel,blue, or Teflon-Moly. It's a carry piece,holster wear is my main concern.

or

Believe me when I tell you I put this together from the grave. You may remember the former post about the slide. Grinding gouges and flattened cocking serrations and had to reweld the lower lug to replace a 1/16 inch that was ground away. Then I got the frame. The beavertail installed was ground down to the thumb safety pin holes and the beaver tail was ground thru the hammer recess. I had to reweld the frame tang and edges going down the beavertail. I don't like the grips. So if anyone has any suggestions for her finish coat please let me know. She goes to the range tomorrow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jm10mm on 2001-07-12 21:30 ]</font>

See less See more
#4 ·
Well I took my new homemade toy out today. What a dream to shoot. The recoil was very pleasent. I ran 200 rounds thru it and not one FTF or FTE(I changed spring for the different loads). It comes out of the holster well and points great. I was running 2 to the body and one to the head drill in 2.30 clean. What a gun! Now if can only decide on grips and finish.

G
#5 ·
Alright Joe,
Now it is time to hit all of the sharp edges on the surface wheel, follow with a finish buff, bead blast, then finish that baby.

You already did the mags in Black Teflon, drop her in the shake & bake.

Oh, and Fred already has instructions and is standing by for it whenever you are done playing. :smile:

#6 ·
I have a question... Since this appears to be based on an Officers frame, what Mags are you using?

My desire has been for a Commander sized slide on an Officer's frame, for a 9x23, but since Wilson won't build any 38 Super mags in the short config, the choices are rather slim.

Definately interested in what you used...

#7 ·
Jaydee,

Metalform is reportedly going to produce a run of short mags in 9mm and 38 super in august or so. I got my information from Derek Dibble at Metalform. He suggests calling and ordering so that they know how many to produce. They are not sure of the price, but are guessing slightly more than the regular mag.

#8 ·
In another post theres a picture of what I did. I cut down a Colt 38 super mag and rewelded it back together. It was easy and turned out great. You can't evan tell it was done and it functions great. I didn't cut the spring because I wanted extra power in the mag for positive feeding and the spring was a 60's vintage.

Well the gun just got out of the oven. I decided to go with teflon-moly. I post the picture when I reassemble it.

#10 ·
EEYOW!

...Nice one!

...How about some Navidrex Micarta in Black!

Or...some Zebra stripe something...I don't even know if anyone makes anything like that but they should!!

...and Davids suggestion would work...I think S&A has some nice examples that would do the trick!!!

Pretty "snakey" lookin'!!!

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-07-15 15:17 ]</font>

#13 ·
No, this was a Caspian Officer frame with a 38 super/9mm ramp. Then I found a Caspian 38 super/9mm slide with a nowlin 9x23 barrel. Ordered the internals from brownell and made a mag for it. All it takes is time and money,like anything else thats worthwile. Its back to the range tommorrow to get the feel for the gun. Take Care.

#14 ·
Well I had a few spare moments this afternoon so I was looking at parts for such a project and have a lot of questions. The Caspian web sight doesn't mention an officers frame so I suppose that is their compact model. Is their a difference between 9mm/38s frames and .45 frames? I wouldn't think so but I could be wrong.

Who else makes officers frames? Thanks all :wink:

#16 ·
Just call Caspian and they will give you exactly what your looking for. If I were to do another I would call Caspian and order an officer frame with a beavertail cut and the plunger tube installed. I'm going to wait for the Titanium officer frame. Now that would make a nice carry piece.

The only problem is living in the republic of jersey. I have to wait at least 3 months everytime I want to purchase a pistol to get the permit. I try to get them in advance, but I ran out again. Oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.