Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
They would also provide the same level of support laterally and vertically, which scallops do not.

I would disagree with you on the degree to which scallops give support.

That aside I think this type of front strap treatment is a viable alternative to any treatment. I LIKE it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I think this just may be one of the neatest ideas to come around
in a long time, no slight to your scallops Dane and Dick. I'm
real interested, maybe my next Colt will sport these.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is from the web site for conamyds:
Conamyds (Aluminum, steel, stainless steel)
$180
Shallowmyds (Aluminum) $140
Shallowmyds (Steel, stainless steel) $165
Skip-line border pattern on Shallowmyds , all metals, add $25

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do see one possible caveat. One of the best features of scallops is that they do not hang on clothes. These look to me like they would do so, thought not nearly so much as checkering.

I suppose if one were concerned, one could get the lighter (0.010) pattern, at least on the mainspring housing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-06-09 17:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
693 Posts
Is this link on the web the only one that does this treatment?

Hey telackey, can you do the same with the shallowmydes photo and enlarge it and post it? The web photo is too small to see detail.

Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-06-09 19:46 ]</font>

G

·
I like them quite a bit, if anyone else is doing this treatment please post the info as I have a feeling that guy is going to get very busy all of the sudden.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
With the other threads running last week that seemed at many points to be off target, threads like this one is THE reason that I started this forum with everyone's help.

I had never heard of the maker or the process. It looks like an exceptional idea in many ways. The internet allows us to all exchange info, good and bad instantly and more importantly help all of us in the industry excel.

I hope after I get a frame in for this process......you guys bury this gentlman with orders and work :grin:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mind you, this picture is at the mercy of whatever the resampling has done to the details. The large photo in the 1st post is from somewhere else on the site...I did not change it.

Here is a close up of the 'Conamyds' from the guy's site.

Mr Burns, or other smiths, any idea how those are made? It looks pretty complex.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-06-09 21:21 ]</font>

G

·
Is it me, or are the grips in the first pick oversize for the pistol? It would appear that the grip length has been trimmed as well?
I wonder if they can do that treatment to plastic as well, it appears that the face of the plastic trigger has very small bumps on it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-06-09 22:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looks to me like it was cut with a small ball cutter on a CNC mill. Not too hard to program actually. Great idea.

You would clean up the contour first so that it is even (creating the surface that will be the top of the conamids), put the ball cutter in, and then cut the pattern. The little pyramids between the cones are the giveaway that it is cut with a ball cutter.

Since it is a ball cutter you could probably get away with doing it with a 3 axis mill.

Pete S. could tell us all in a second how it's done, but that's my take.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Looks interesting. I'm not particularly smitten by the way it looks, but it certainly looks like it can be quite effective. Still, if money was no object, give me the Krebs scales.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.