Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find inexpensive vests($50 or less) for concealment. I have a photographers type vest right now and it works good for summer carry but it is a lot more complicated than it needs to be. FI don't need that many pockets, zippers and pouches on the vest. Just a light weight vest without too much length since I carry IWB. Thanks for any ideas, Bill

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought a couple of columbia vests. They are made for hiking and outdoor use. They seem well made and do the job pretty well. They have some pockets but not a billion pockets, like a photograper's vest does. They are much less cumbersome and don't scream gun to anyone who looks at you like a photographer's vest does. I got mine at the sports authority for about 25-30 bucks each. Good luck. Jake

·
Registered
628 Posts
Jake, are the Colubmia's long enought to cover a OWB holster? Thanks man :smile:

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-26 14:05, Pistolero wrote:
For a very lightweight Summer vest S&A's is the best have personally found. It looks a lot better than their funky pic BTW.
http://www.smithandalexander.com/apparel.html
I hope so... The pics I see of this vest are awful... Talk about 'GUN!!!'

Haven't found a summer vest yet that I like, but I DID find a winter vest last fall... From Eddie Bauer, on sale for like $40. Great length, and filling covers very nicely, and is comfortable in the 60-70's, and warm in the 40-50's.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Jake,

Is this the vest you own?

Thanks man! :grin:

·
Registered
350 Posts
JLM: Yes, that is the one. It is long enough to cover a full size 1911 in a blade tech OWB holster. HOWEVER, if you reach up for something then the bottom is going to "peek". I own one like that in olive green and I own one that is black polar fleece without the large pockets. They are comfortable and holding up very nicely. They aren't too hot and they look pretty normal with a polo shirt on. I think the secret to going unnoticed is what else you choose to wear. I wear birkenstock sandals and jean shorts and a polo shirt and I am good to go. I see guys wearing airborne ranger black t-shirts with black jeans and combat boots walking around with a black fanny pack large enough to put a phone book in and thinking that they are really "under cover". My wife can point them out to me. "Hey, look, that guy has a gun." Just make sure you are aware of your surroundings. Also, if you drop something bend at the knees to pick it up, if you just bend over normal style the gun is going to show. Mainly now I wear a rosen ARG that I bought on this board and it works great, but sometimes I go the OWB route and that works too, it just takes some creativity. Also, if you can get a "long" vest, which I believe they make, that will give you an extra few inches to play with. Anyway, for what it is worth, I recommend the columbia stuff, as it is pretty yuppie and mainstream and doesn't stick out like a photographers vest. Good luck brother. Jake

·
Registered
705 Posts
Okay guys! Maybe I've missed it but where on the net can you find these Columbia vests?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
628 Posts
KIMBGLOCK, I tried one on today at Gart Brothers. I must just be me, because the vest in question barely came down to my waist :eek: Its too bad because they were on sale too.

Woe, the perils of being 6 foot eight :lol: I guess I'm just too tall for it cover a gun like it does for Jake. In fact in my case I doubt it would cover a .22 derringer in a OWB holster. TOO SHORT :lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I found mine at the "sports authority", it is one of those big chain sporting goods stores. They had several of them in several different styles. They make pants too that are like the royal robbins, I got a few sets of those also, they are very comfortable. I don't wear the vest and the pants together though because it is a little over the top, like I'm trying to be crocodile dundee or something. Anyway, any major sports store that sells clothes probably has a bunch of them, and this being summer they are probably all on sale. Gunsite sells a few different vests too. If I remember correctly they are more plain looking that a photographers vest. Nice, and good for the task I am sure. But I think they were more expensive. Check it yourself at http://www.gunsite.com at the proshop icon. I was going to get a roll of the gunsite monogram toilet paper, but at 73 bucks it was too expensive also. Sorry, bad joke. The vest probably work very well, and they are designed to hide a gun, so you may have better luck with them. I still think that for me the columbia ones work great. Especially the polar fleece one without a billion pockets, it really just looks like a simple vest, but the black one I have does a great job of concealing a fullsize gun.
Jake

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I really LIKED the vest, and the price was definitely right, as it was one sale. But it was just too dang short for me, to cover anything up :sad: Why don't they make clothes for folks over six foot eight? :lol:

·
Registered
580 Posts
JLM,
Am "only" 6'2" but easily get by with the Domke Photographers Vest carried by Wilson's. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/accessories/nonwilson.asp

It is of excellent quality and design, well worth the $ and it is LONG. Be advise it is designed to wear over other clothing, even a Winter jacket, so is cut large to fit same.

Can usually beat their price by ca. $20 from one of the Big NYC Camera stores like Adorama or B&H.
http://www.adorama.com

http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/default.s ... 79836AB7F0

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-06-29 01:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks man :smile: I'm also looking at the Orvis vest, as sold by Gunsite. More expensive but it looks LONG as well, and well constructed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies but it hasn't helped so far. I have been on the Columbia website and found nothing about a lightweight vest with few pockets. The S&A is much too long. I carry IWB and am short waisted anyhoo. I don't need a vest that hangs to below my crotch. I don't carry in Thunderwear! :smile:

Maybe my best bet would be to try WalMart and other cheap places until I run into these types of vests. I can find plenty of them for cooler weather but no lightweight for our hot muggy summers.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
705 Posts
Decided to give the Gunsite vest a try myself. Have to admit it is a little pricey but there seems to be nothing cheap anymore.

Tim

·
Registered
207 Posts
In Central Indiana, I see vests worn by three groups of people: shooters at IDPA matches, bikers, and teenagers wearing Old Navy fleece vests.

Every time I wore a photographers vest some stranger would ask about it. After the third time, I retired it to IDPA duty and gun classes.

I would stick with an untucked button-up shirt over a t-shirt and use the "Hackatorn Rip".

If you really want a vest look at http://www.concealedcarry.com . They offer the best of the breed IMO.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think I might go with the Gunsite-Orvis vest too. Can you say 'poser'? :wink: Actually, from the pics it looks LONG enough for a tall bastid like me, and that's what I'm mostly concerned about. I liked the Columbia, but was too short. That Domke vest looks really nice thou too, especially lengthwise.

As to the issue of people knowing your carrying, I don't really care. As long as you have a permit, I don't see the problem really. Also, hopefully the 'bad guys' will know your packing too. Good deterrent value :lol:

I might be slightly crazy thou, as I wore my black trenchcoat in the weeks following Columbine (here in Denver even :smile:I don't care about the 'fashion nazi's'

As an aside, did you guys here about the kid that got suspended from school recently for wearing one of Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A ******* Sports Fan if" t-shirts? The principal said it was 'racist' because of the word *******. Of coz, these are the same folks that say having the name "George Washington" in the name of your local high school is racist too. Anyway, the kid is sueing. I hope he wins :grin: Would I myself wear something like that? Maybe, maybe not, but that's his right. This is (?) a free country after all. Off topic ranting over now :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-06-30 00:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just remembered something. I posted this to a 'vest' thread in the accessories forum awhile back ago. Cabelas sells a vest that looks IDENTICAL to the Orvis Gunsite vest, but for one exception. On the Cabelas vest, there are slats in the bottom edge of the vest, right behind the pockets. I don't think the Orvis has the slats, at least from what I can see in the pic on http://www.gunsite.com. I'd be tempted to buy the Cabelas vest, if not for the slats, as I'd be concerned about the holster poking out at that point. There is NO pic of the Cabelas vest on their website, but it IS in the 2001 Shooting Catalog for those that have it. If you look at the pics of it side by side with the Orvis, its is IDENTICAL at a 50 dollar price. Zippers, Pockets, same stitching on the Velcro tabs, same stitching pattern on the area that covers the shoulders, same large pocket in the back, same mesh etc etc etc. Take a look if you have the Cabelas Shooting Catalog :smile: Maybe the slats could be sewed together? Here's the Orvis vest as pictured on Gunsite:

I don't SEE any slats behind the pockets that could reveal the holster. If you own one of these, please let me us/know if I am wrong. Pic is kinda small so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-06-30 00:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
705 Posts
Maybe it just me but the Orvis vest looks a little heavy for summer time wear. I looks perfect for an early spring or fall vest. I've ordered their concealment vest to try for summer time wear.

Since my first .45 is still at the Smith I have not had the opportunity to carry it concealed. What I've been carrying to this point has been a Glock 23 or 27. I've had no problem concealing either pistol with a large t-shirt. I sometimes carry the 27 in a Sidearmor holster and other time in a leather pouch (looks like a cell phone pouch or PDA holder).

Tim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.