Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a concept 7 and 8. Can someone talk to me about the quality and durability of the Baer bluing on the Concept 7? Pros and cons of going with stainless over blued? Also, is the tactical "package" really worth it, or are the stories of sharp edges on Baers really overstated? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I won't comment on the VII vs the VIII, but I can tell you that my Baer Premiere II has some very sharp edges. I have opened up my hand at a couple of different IDPA matches and USPSA matches due to the sharp edges. Once the Kydex holsters have worn off a little more of the blueing, it's going to go off to Jim Garthwaite for a tastefull dehorning and a re-blue or hard chrome. I know he will smooth things out without changing the classic looks of the gun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M40A1 on 2001-11-23 10:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
De-horning really depends on what you intend to do with your gun. If you take it to the range 6 times a year, you probably won't benefit from de-horning.

If you are serious about carrying this piece, then de-horning is a very worthwhile addition.

If you are planning on taking any kind of recognized training courses, then de-horning is mandatory. Your hands will be a bloody mess after a couple hundred clearance/malf drills.

And as I stated "over there", I prefer stainless simply because my guns see a lot of holster use/abuse!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would go for the carbon-steel gun with a hard-chrome finish over a s/s variant. The hard chrome finish is much more durable and resistant to scratched than s/s.

The only place I've ever cut myself while operating a 1911 rapidly is on an adjustable rear sight (Bomar or Elliason). Were you purchasing a Premier II with the Bomar adjustable sights, I would not hesitate to recommend the tactical dehorning package, in conjunction with the 1.5" group option. Since your pistol comes with the Novak/Baer fixed sights or the MMC adjustables, I wouldn't worry about the tactical carry package unless you plan on carrying this pistol next to your skin in an IWB holster and spend a LOT of time practicing failure drills. That being said, if you have no qualms about $75.00 extra and are having to order the gun anyway, then why not go whole hog?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was told by the lady (can't remember her name) at Baer that the Premier II Stainless and the Concept V were the same gun. So I would assume (and you know what they say about that :grin: ) that the concept pistols would all be just as sharp as the premiers. I am waiting on a Baer X-treme Tactical that I should get in this week. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: Will let you know what its edges and shooting are like then. My 2 cents worth Tim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: choke on 2001-12-05 08:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
283 Posts
The VII & VIII are carbon and stainless-steel (respectively) true Commander-length 1911s w/fixed Novak-style sights. They used to come with MMC adjustables, too.

I have a hybrid VII/VIII with MMC sights, s/s frame, and blued upper. I would have preferred a carbon steel gun that had been hard-chromed. The price one pays for not waiting...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.