Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The slides of my 1911s don't line up with the frames, when looking at the rear, the frame and the slide aren't flush. My
kimber slide appears short while my 1991 seems long. Both are off by about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch. Does this matter? Anything I can do?? BTW, both guns are very reliable, so I'm mostly concerned with how accuracy is affected.

As always Thanks for your expertise and opinions. Tom

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Can you send us a picture? They really are worth a 1000 words...
:wink:

Sounds like jus normal factory stuff. What kind of pistols are these exactly? Year? Bought new or used...etc...Whatever info you have may help.

:wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The slides on both are tight, no slop or play.
Sorry gyp, I don't have any pics or a way right now to get some...
Both guns I bought used in excellent shape...Tom

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If function is OK, then it is most likely a cosmetic thing. A lot of factory guns have a "step" between the slide and frame, usually at the rear of the gun. A smith can smooth it out for you, or fire up the dremel :eek: if you want to hog off the metal yourself - and you think you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Shane, But that's alright...:smile:
If accuracy isn't affected then no biggie...
Do you think adding a shok-buff would make a difference?
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The frame to slide fit in the back of the gun is defined by the barrel lugs and barrel fit. Much better to have the slide over hang the frame than the other way around as long as the gun is in battery and fire.

A buff won't change that and in reality having the frame and slide flush is a rarity and not mandatory in any fashion.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Your heater isn’t broken. Don’t go fixing it.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
TomP,
FYI, I had an old Commander that the slide overhung the back of the frame so bad, I continuously thought I had a FTF, and the slide was not going into battery. It shot nice 5-shot 1 3/4" groups at 25 yds. though. I just couldn't get used to seeing the slide hanging out like that however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts