Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighborhood shop (B'ham AL) has a traded in custom classic (the base model) and the owner said I could have it out the door for $450.00. It looks pretty good with no sign of wear other than the finish. The blue is worn from being in a holster, but not to bad except for around the thumb safety. Looks like it was worn in a strong side hip holster from the wear. Its has the factory box and 2 original mags. The shop owner said the guy bought it new about 3 years ago. What do you think good deal or not? I own a Para right now but have been looking for a good deal on a sigle stack for the past few months and this is the first thing I have found. Oh yea the shop had just got in a new Custom Eclipse - very very nice. I think it was priced at around 950.00

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slidelock1 on 2001-08-02 17:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not a bad deal on a used, I assume, a Custom Classic. I have always like the lets say entry models from Kimber over the higher priced custom shop models. I have both a Classic Stainless and a Stainless Target. Both are great pistols.

With the Eclipse, half of what you are buying is appearance, not fuction. I prefer function and would pass on the Eclipse.

Do not know about that shop, but the ones here, I get to shoot them to see if I want to keep them. Shoot it. If you like it, buy it. Offer them $450 includeing sales tax and a box of shells. You never know.

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks .... It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away". Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Forsyth on 2001-08-02 16:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Grab it...you'll kick yourself later if you don't...Like John says...Try to get 'em to "sweeten" the deal a little bit...Just remember...you may be startin' a new relationship with a "family" member :wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's a good price, mine was just over $600.00 brand new. Like previously mentioned, see if you can get them to include a Wilson 47D mag or eat the sales tax, all they can do is say "no." I have the same Kimber and it is excellent.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
That price sucks...what is the shop's number? I want to call and tell them to stop taking advantage of list membership!

:grin:

I suspect Dick has already sent you a private email. right?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Buy it! That's a great price. I paid $625 not too long ago for a lighly used Classic Royal with night sights(only to discover that the Kimber night sights suck a dead rat and will have to be replaced anyway).

Chad

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I have not heard from Dick, but I did get them to sweeten the deal just a little and picked up the Kimber at Lunch. (In AL no waiting period once you clear NICS) Can't wait to try it out.
By the way who makes Ed Brown Mags? Brown or someone else? Thanks guys for the advice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slidelock1 on 2001-08-03 13:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that is probably the best reason for going ahead and buying this one... and I knew the longer I waited the more likely I was to buy a new one and those stainless Gold Match models really had my eye. So this way I have one and I am broke but not in debt. By the way I only had time to run a few mags through it with factory hardball, but it ran great with no failures (big relief on a used gun).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slidelock1 on 2001-08-04 20:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
274 Posts
On 2001-08-04 10:34, DblTap wrote:
Glad to hear you got it. Are you going to shoot the single stack match at Heritage on Sept 8? If so, we need to get a single stack practice session together soon.

Eric
Tell me more about the match.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey John F.,
How has your stainless target model performed? I purchased one of those yesterday (it's a birthday present for my Dad's 61st birthday) and while I've been impressed with the performance of the other Kimber models I've tried, no one I know has had the chance to do any serious shooting with this particular model yet. I have already changed those hideous rubber grips and put on a set of Chip McCormick rosewood double-diamond grips (really changes the looks of the gun IMO). I almost bought him a blued Colt Gold Cup, but He already has a couple of nice series 70 GC's and both of us really like Kimber rifles so we know the quality is there. I'm giving him the gun and a few Wilson 8rd mags later this month. I'm just trying to convince myself that I made the right choice.
Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey I've had a Kimber stainless target for about twenty months now. I like the heck out of it. KNock on wood, no malfunctions of any kind so far. I recommend, if you want to, getting a set of tritium adjustable sights slapped on it. You'll still be able to use the adjustable sights just fine, but can go and do a little more in low light. Get a good set though. AO Sight Systems is pretty good.

But take my advice. Don't let it get knocked off of a counter top. It can be hard on your sights if it lands right on them. Trust me!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
On 2001-09-04 01:58, GunslingerP16 wrote:
Hey John F.,
How has your stainless target model performed?
It has performed very well. I got it right after the model was introduced. I shot it for a year in IDPA and sent it off to have some work done on it. What was a good gun, is now a great gun. I think you will be pleased.

I have heard some negative comments on the rear sight, such as it just broke, but so far my is holding up just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.