1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know Lou will give credit where it's due. The first belt holster (to my knowledge) which attatched to the belt with snapping front and rear belt loops was "the Patriot" design by the late Bruce Nelson, (of Summer Special design fame). Truth be told, there are only so many ways you can wrap a piece of leather around a gun and call it a holster.
Safe shooting,
Mark Garrity
Garrity's Gunleather

·
Registered
515 Posts
On 2001-08-20 22:19, Mark Garrity wrote: Truth be told, there are only so many ways you can wrap a piece of leather around a gun and call it a holster.
Well said, Mark. That was precisely my point a few weeks ago when we had the thread going on the Graham copy of the Burns/Alessi GWH. The designs will be copied (deliberately or not). It is the quality of materials and workmanship that distinguishes the excellent from the ho-hum. Customer service, too, has a pivotal role to play in the big picture.

I also think that giving proper attribution to the originator of a particular holster shows class on the part of the maker.

Rosco

·
Registered
849 Posts
You guys are right! Tony Kanaley sent me a photo of the Nelson 'Patriot' the other day.
When I designed the CQC/S, I hadn't even given any thought to Bruce's design. I even have one of Bruce's old catalogs in my files!
Tony was actually the second person to see the CQC/S in prototype a couple years ago, the first being Dave Spaulding because it was actually his idea to use the snaps.
I reckon none of us gave any thought to the Patriot, but that's really not an excuse. I should have remembered that holster although I don't ever think I've seen one in the flesh. I'll definetely credit Bruce Nelson with that design when the photos go up on my web site.
Thanks Guys,
Lou

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My point in posting the FIST link was that was also designed in collaboration with Dave Spaulding. The "copy" jab was supposed to be a joke, although at this point it seems to be one that either isn't so funny now or never was all that great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.