Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surfing the auctions and found a Colt series 70 pistol in 9mm Steyr.

Would it be safe to shoot the 9x23Win cartridge in this pistol or would you have to rebarrel it? I would assume you would just need to use a slightly heavier recoil spring but you know what happens when you assume.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If it's tha same one I saw a while back, the reserve went to 2600. on it...If it's a new one, who knows...I saw two or three recently...I never even heard of them 'til a month ago!

Good Luck! I'm kinda' anxious to see what happens with these...How many of them were made? 1000?

...no matter where ya' go

...there ya' are...

...BanZai from the 8th

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-10-28 18:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you put a barrel in it. The older 70 series 9mm guns used a thin barrel. If it were my gun I would drop a Bar-Sto in it.Actually if it was my gun it would get packed away and wouldn't be shot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im a dealer and have a couple of customers that collect Colts,If they dont want it Ill put it up for sale in my store. Id like to keep it but cant see keeping something that shouldnt really be shot due to the value it has to a collector.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ammo is available, a local guy who supports his gun collection by scrounging odd lots of ammo usually has some. Sometimes he has old stock RWS with Sinoxid non-corrosive primers.

But if I wanted to shoot one - instead of keeping it pristine for a collector - I would load for it. The 9mm Steyr is a 23mm straight case, not tapered like 9x23 Win or Largo. It is within a couple of thousandths the same as a .38 Super except that it is true rimless, not semirim. I'd get some .38 Super Comp, TJ, or McM rimless Super brass and load it to .38 ACP or low end Super. I bet that would work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.