Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to by some unused 9x23 that is headstamped CP 9x23 (or similar). I'm familiar with CP and their history re 9x23.
Has anyone used this brass before? Is it comparable to Winchester?

Thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
I know one shooter who used it for a while. He said it was only good for 3 or 4 loadings because the rim would peen out from impact on the ejector and it would no longer go in a shellholder or up the breechface of his gun. I brought a piece home and sectioned it to compare with other 9mm/.38 brass. It was thick but soft; it cut a lot easier than any other brand or caliber.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been using CP brass and find the rim gets peened by the extractor. Often I have to file the peened burr so the case will fit in my case gauge. The modified 9mmWinMag cases I use as 9x23 do not exhibit this peening on the rim.
I have a IPSC shooter friend who says his CP brass does not exhibit any peening of the rim. I had to take back some CP 9x23 brass I had sold because the rims were slightly off center. Mine were also slightly off center as they had come from the same production batch. Maybe this could be the cause of the rims peening.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: berg on 2001-09-22 02:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been running my fired CP brass through a friend's "Case Pro" reforming press. Puts the 9x23 back to original specs, even gets rid of the extactor caused burrs on the rim!
He, an IPSC shooter, says he gets up to 20 reloads on his CP brass. I had been getting a half moon ridge on my brass at the feed ramp of my full auto PPSh-41. The reforming takes care of this problem, whereas, my sizing die did not. I will be shooting a lot more 9x23 now.

bill berg
My PPSh-41 website

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.