Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help in re: Shokbuff/guide rod choice for my new (coming this week) CQB Compact. If it comes with the plastic guide rod that is disposable which metal guide rod should I use for greater reliability? Reduction in recoil forces on the frame is great, but a defensive pistol must be reliable when needed. With the Commander size pistol and its' shorter cycle stroke is a shokbuff using up needed cycle time which might lead to a malfunction? Shoul one do without the buff? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jimbo.

This is a very subjective question, with two camps with decidely different opinions on the merits of FLGR's and shok buffs.

My view (for what it's worth :roll: ) is that I use FLGR and buffs, and I like them. A fLGR adds a bit of extra weight to the muzzle end (granted, not a lot), to help control recoil. I also feel that a FLGR smooths out the cycling of the slide slightly as well. All my Commander length guns work fine with them. It is up to your gun to decide if they like them or not. If your gun does not run reliably with a buff, then don't use one - it's that simple.

Also, the Commander (4 1/4") slide is the minimum length that I have found that will run properly with a buff. Your CQB has a 4" slide, so you may have intermittent reliability. You'll have to run a few hundred rounds to determine that.

If your gun likes them, then there is no harm in using them. Check the buffs for cuts or tears every couple hundred rounds, and replace at the first sign of cutting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.